delete edge with out destroying model????

22764   5   3
40 posts
well i have a case of the can not sleeps, been messing around in houdini for most of the night, and i am going to call it quits for now. but right now i am stuck with some poly modeling. please view the picture. i am trying to delete an edge without destroying my whole model, i tried the disolve command but wasnt quite doing the trick, because it would delete the edge but still leave points behind. anywaz i am off to bed now. i basically want to make those 2 squares in the picture unified http://www.geocities.com/klarusboy/dec13problem.jpg [geocities.com]

cheers
-capin_crunch
40 posts
figured it out, i was trying to dissolve two edges @ a time when i had to do one edge at a time, at least that seems to work for now.
now i am going to sleep.
23 posts
the link doesn't seem to work. but anyhow, have you tried the EdgeCollapse sop?
109 posts
I was strugling with this issue as well. You can't do it in one step. You have to dissolve and then blast or delete the points left behind. With EdgeCollapse you can do it at once but your geometry gets deformed… Unless a better solution pops up all of a sudden??
40 posts
That's exactly how I have been doing my poly modeling. You are indeed right, in that you can disolve two edges. I was strugling because I was trying to blast before dissolve. So now it is always dissolve blast (: There are just so many operators when it comes to SOP modeling, it is a bit overwhelming especially when you are first learning this stuff.

I do not know if it could be done, but when the tab key is hit, and you click on the filters menu, I would like to see a little question mark next each operator, prefreably the same help menu one recieves after applying the OP; so that way I wouldn't have to apply the OP, and then have to read the help menu, and then go back and delete the OP because I found out it was the wrong one, but thats just my two cents.

cheers
-capin_crunch
22 posts
So, to remove, lets say, an edge loop from a model, you must first dissolve the edges, then blast the points. This is how I understand it.
Has anyone come up with a better method?

And by the way, Dries. How come you didnt take that girl home with you?
  • Quick Links