Displaying a point's string attribute in the viewport

5489   6   1
24 posts
I'm trying to get Houdini to display a custom point attribute of the type <string> in the viewport. I think I've got the setup right, but am presented with question marks (?) next to the points. I have verified that the points contain proper strings in the Details View and via Python.

Are only numbers allowed maybe? Any idea?

Attachments:
display_string_attribute.jpg (14.3 KB)

279 posts
Try to setup in Preferences > 3D viewports >Scene Renderer in H11.
Working for me.
Staff
5156 posts
Do you have a simple hip file demonstrating this? String decorations are supported by the GL renderers, so switching to the soon-to-be-gone H11 renderer should not be necessary.
279 posts
Here a simple test. GL3 with an nvidia 780 on Manjaro Linux XFCE 4.10, driver 319.32 and 12.5.469

Honnestly, i have (and i'm not alone, there is a pool on Od Force) a lot of bugs with display in 12.5. Ghost geometry, invisible geo, tooltips all black, etc…

Attachments:
test_string_attrib.hipnc (650.6 KB)
string_attrib.png (23.4 KB)

24 posts
fsimerey
Try to setup in Preferences > 3D viewports >Scene Renderer in H11.
Working for me.
Yup, that does it for me too. That's good enough right now. I need the string display to see which of the points the moving camera has in sight.

Thanks for the quick help!

Attachments:
display_string_attribute_H11.jpg (19.8 KB)

Staff
5156 posts
Thanks for the file. This is fixed in 12.5.482 (tomorrow's build).

The H11 renderer is no longer being actively developed. No new primitives are being added to H11 (such as VDB and Alembic), nor are any bugs being fixed in it, which is why it's not a recommended solution to viewport issues. Most of the issues users are reporting in the GL renderers are fairly simple fixes (such as the above).

The ghost/invisible geometry issue is independent of the viewport renderer and is very difficult to reproduce reliably, so if you have a reproduceable set of steps, please submit a bug. Several issues with object management have been cleared up since 12.5 release, but at least one is still lurking.
279 posts
twod
The ghost/invisible geometry issue is independent of the viewport renderer and is very difficult to reproduce reliably, so if you have a reproduceable set of steps, please submit a bug. Several issues with object management have been cleared up since 12.5 release, but at least one is still lurking.
Thanks for reply
I will try to find a set of step, but like you say, it seems very difficult to reproduce.
  • Quick Links