Ocean Tutorial

15428   15   3
1 posts
Hi All

I was following the latest tutorial on creating and rendering ocean surfaces.
Everything's is cool and easy until I hit render.
The render looks like a flat weirdly shaded surface.
After I exit the Mplay the mantra1 node turns red.
Its complaining that it cannot load the texture map plus a lot of stuff I dont understand?
I really think I am following the tutorial to the letter so I cant figure out why its doing this.
I am using the Houdini HD apprentice v13

Here is my scene file if someone wants to take a look

Thank you All

Attachments:
OceanTests.hipnc (970.4 KB)

19 posts
Hey Guys,

i have the same problem
mantra is unable to load the displacement map (
Why?

Attachments:
Unbenannt.PNG (1.0 MB)

I7 4790K
32GTXGB RAM
780 GHz 3GB
Win 10
30 posts
for apprentice version of Houdini extension should be .picnc I think
http://vimeo.com/user7871222 [vimeo.com]
19 posts
Nope

already flat
Can anybody help?
Please
something is missing in the tutorial …
I7 4790K
32GTXGB RAM
780 GHz 3GB
Win 10
45 posts
I don't think ROPs create subdirectories by default - does your output path exist? Is it writeable by mantra? Maybe try directing the textures to your temp directory and see if that works…

*EDIT: I was MISTAKEN - the “Create Intermediate Directories” toggle is enabled on the renderable Ocean Evaluate created by the shelf tool.
Edited by - Feb. 12, 2014 21:59:14
19 posts
the displacement path exist and create displacement maps.
I can´t edit the ROP

Attachments:
Unbenannt.jpg (781.8 KB)

I7 4790K
32GTXGB RAM
780 GHz 3GB
Win 10
1 posts
Hi! I'm having the same problem with Apprentice as well. I even reinstalled just in case I missed something. Would be great if we could get some insight. Thank you.

Attachments:
oceans not rendering properly.jpg (662.4 KB)

45 posts
Here's what might be happening, as far as I can tell.

The shelf tool defaults try to export your displacement map as a .pic file; but when actually rendering, Houdini Apprentice writes those files out as .picnc. Because the shader is looking for a displacement map that ends in a .pic, it doesn't find it. I think you'll find that if if you change the extension in the ocean_render / output file path from .pic to .picnc, the shader should be able to find the displacement map.

In my case, I had to actually write the displacement map out manually before adjusting the output file path to end in .picnc; if I tried to change it before writing, I'd get weird permissions issues. I'm not sure if this is the case for anyone else, though, because I'm doing some other python stuff in my environment.
2 posts
Hi Guys,
I'm having the same issues as what you guys. Been banging my head on desk to try re-solving but in vain.

Firstly, there is not wrong with H13 Ocean Wave tuorial if you are using a Houdini Master License 13. The render will come out nicely as seen in the .mov or vimeo.

Its very annoying if you are a noob or newbie.. trying to follow a awesome tutorial yet when you click render it just dont look the same.

I've try to use Apprentice or Apprentice HD and getting the same problems.
Export to Texture–>Output File, writing out .picnc

Shaders–>oceansurface & oceanvolume, pointing to the .picnc didnt help either. Just craps the surface geo and displace it weirdly… …

Will keep digging what went wrong… … :cry:
19 posts
Thanks man …
that would be very helpfull
I7 4790K
32GTXGB RAM
780 GHz 3GB
Win 10
4189 posts
Although it's totally understandable to want to make this cool ocean stuff, to be fair, the tutorial page does say that if you are new, start with the First Steps lesson. Once you are more familiar with Houdini you can solve this issue quite quickly i.e. in a few minutes. Consider solving it a test of your Houdini abilities

From the page:

“Are You New To Houdini?

If you are new to Houdini and would like to follow through these lessons, be sure to download the FREE Houdini Apprentice edition then go through the User Guide and First Steps Intro lessons.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2659&Itemid=166 [sidefx.com]
1 posts
I had the same issues, couldn't load texture maps when trying a render.
I changed output file to .picnc in both the ocean preview and the ocean render and now it works.
Next question: How would one get a boat to stick to the ocean and interact with the waves?
8 posts
Been playing with the Ocean Surface in H13, when I scale my grid up
I start to see a grid pattern in the render, and not sure where it is coming from, see attached.
I've subdivided the grid and tried editing a lot of parameters but nothing
changes this, anyone any pointers?

Attachments:
RENDER_TEST_01.jpg (144.7 KB)

27 posts
This is often related to displacement. For your surface geo - click on the cog icon and edit parameters. Under rendering you will find the option to expose displacement bounds so you can set this value yourself to something larger.

Might not be the best way to fix way but it sounds do the trick
8 posts
Will try that out, thanks
8 posts
That works well, thanks revilodesigns
  • Quick Links