DualScreen

4549   4   1
174 posts
Hi, just curious how do you interpret the “creation desk” introduced by Philip Spicer but on a dual screen ?
Personaly i used to work on XSI with 3 screens 1 left for the floating panel and the 2+3 ones for the xsi inteface. But with houdini, i feel a bit of wasted space… :wink:
260 posts
this is how i use dual screen:
prim monitor: render view + viewport in split screen (ctrl+B to expand to whole screen)
secondary monitor: parameters + net view

Attachments:
01.PNG (175.2 KB)

174 posts
ok, but haven't you any problem with floating panes like this ?
Personaly i have a “window focus” problem just like you have on XSI if you don't use a single maximised window on the surface of the two screens.

Using multiples windows with houdini is a problem, he don't use the mouse position for the view tool, example:

On a 2 screen setup with two windows:
- you are on screen 2 in a network view
- you move the mouse on screen 1 over a 3d view to start navigating with the view key (space or alt)
-> this doesn't work you have to clic in the 3d view to activate it before using the view tool

On a 2 screen setup with one window maximised on the 2 screen surface, the problem is gone
18 posts
NNois
Personaly i have a “window focus” problem just like you have on XSI if you don't use a single maximised window on the surface of the two screens.

This has actually been fixed in 14.0.271 build. Very annoying bug indeed, but works now.

As for the ‘Creation Desk’. Don't interpret it on dual screen, Just use the extra real estate for more useful panels. I was never big fan of ‘Creation desk’ even in the uni, because it simply lacked information I wanted to have on hand most of the time. But that's really just personal preference.
For inspiration maybe. This is what mine looks like now, for most of the work.

edit: seem like this forum is not taking big pictures too well. sorry for the strech.

Attachments:
dualscreen_houdini.png (2.5 MB)

Technical Director @ Kredenc
www.mkolar.com [mkolar.com]
260 posts
NNois
Personaly i have a “window focus” problem just like you have on XSI ….
In H13 its fine, in H14 its broken, but based on the latest fixes it should be fixed now. Didnt test it yet.
  • Quick Links