Setting up a variable to function as a container for RBD sim

2062   3   1
2 posts
Hi Guys

I am super new to Houdini and need to know how to set up a variable that will establish an absolute path to be used in my ROP network. Instead of the standard default $HIP I would like the variable to be $DT or $myfile etc(just as an example). I will use this variable as a location or a pointer to a location that i can render out a series of RBD simulations .bgeo files to. It will be used in the ropnet geometry node as the “Output File” for the frame range and also used to referenced a seed value several levels up at the main obj level.
As I said I am very new to Houdini and never did any programing either so I will need details or pointed to a source that can help me.

Thanks in advance. :?
7737 posts
From the main menu, choose Edit > Aliases and Variables > Variables tab. Add your variable there and then remember to save your scene file.
1 posts
Thanks for the help edward. Its amazing that something so simple could be so evasive. Houdini is an incredible piece of software but somet things you just need help from the more experienced user. I really appreciate these forums in cases of this nature.
I will try that as soon as I get back to my sytem and update you on the results.
Again, thanks.

Cheers
2 posts
…worked perfect. NP….thanks for the tip.
  • Quick Links