NLE Editing/Compositing/3D Tracking

4927   9   2
5 posts
With a lot of software going the all in one route (Nuke Studio, Davinci Resolve, FCPX, Flame etc…) it makes sense to enhance Houdini in order to stay relevant.

Would you like to see the following in Houdini?

• 1. NLE Editing/Timeline
    2. Advanced COPs (Full blown compositing)
    3. 3D Tracking/Tracker for Rotoscoping, Object tracking etc…
    4. Advanced Color Grading
    5. All of the Above

Please responded if interested.

Thanks!
636 posts
+1

made that statement some time ago to have less tools as possible can reduce optimization process. :-)

make please a RFE with how you want to have it.
132 posts
So this is a very interesting coincidence. For IBC we received some users feedbacks that asked many similar things. I even proposed a potential option for achieving some of this stuff.

But after thinking about it… it would be INTERESTING.. to make Houdini NLEngine.

Maybe a new commercial product line for the high end editorial, DI, 4K, Color and Comp crowd.

Autodesk Flame and Smoke have the richest 3d for a comp app sure

but what if a NLE engine for houdini could be applied as a NODE in something like MISTIKA?

that way you can add 3d to a video clip or COPS to a video clip and CHOPS to a audio clip on a EDIT TIMELINE.

this would be used by me on a daily basis. It would be worth its weight in gold for all the people i deal with.

Being able to select several audio timeline clips and apply a global CHOPs to it would be aweomse.

Then taking that CHOP and linking it to a 3D Houdini FX on the video tracks would be just as cool!

Making Music videos would be a JOY all the time, i can tell you that much.

But making a NLE engine could be used in lots of apps like

Nuke , Fusion, Mistika, Mamba, Resolve, Smoke, Flame, Scratch, Mist, Rain, Ocean, Piranha or just about anything like that.

My vote for all of the above comes with a bit of specifics tho

The choice to make Houdini a PLUGIN LOADER for other apps is very interesting.

Rendering to the timeline or video storage could be done at both global timeline render OR individual cllip render.

WHY NOT JUST DO THIS SEPARATELY? well we knot how that works already…. but what if we can get a TRUE MASTER CGX suite. Im coining the new acronym CGX as a combo of CG and VFX so we know what the difference is.

We could manage an entire production from Houdini NLE Timeline. version management of shots could be controlled and then distributed rendered via SAN clusters… o my would that be HEAVEN for middle sizes studios.

The 3d tracker tho… its a MUST HAVE to make that all happen.

My features for a 3dtracker are specific so you can do image modeling right in houdini with both POINT CLOUD MOLDING and POLY VERTICE TIME MODELING

If your not familiar with the latter… you basically take a shot, 3d camera solve it, then draw a polygon shape over an object on frame 1… then on end frame you move the polygon points to match again.. then in the middle do the same.

at that point your camera solve can be resolved thanks to the geometry, AND you get a 3d model that you can project the footage on and bake it for camera replacement or 3d stabilization AND OR set extension painting.

YOU GOT MY VOTES ON ALL

i only wish i could help work on it.

thanks Z3

cMaynard
132 posts
In fact, to add to my last post (cuz it wasnt long enough lol) my friends over at SGO.es would be interested in speaking about such a thing.

Im sure there interest would be as rich as others. Could be a great roadmap for the future. You never know!
4189 posts
z3r0
With a lot of software going the all in one route (Nuke Studio, Davinci Resolve, FCPX, Flame etc…) it makes sense to enhance Houdini in order to stay relevant.

You may have a slight roadblock to your plan - Foundry have a $300mil Hg_Captial Share investment, Davinci is Black_magic that sells a lot of hardware, FCPX is Apple, Flame is Autodesk.
636 posts
wavesmack
In fact, to add to my last post (cuz it wasnt long enough lol) my friends over at SGO.es would be interested in speaking about such a thing.

just thinking…. what will happen when sesi and sgo will combine there companys…. and bring there tools in one package….
132 posts
When it comes to finances, i can only propose how to grow in sales,

i cant suggest how to manage operational costs. that being said, SESI has been around for the longest time…. and if the users ask for it… they know how to deliver.

I offer help, for as much as they can use me.. but ultimately the need itself drives the product. Always has.

If you think about how many shares of NLE are out there… and how many people are NOT HAPPY with whats going on in the NLE and COLOR suites right now… its almost serendipitous to have a move like this under your sleeve.

I do not know how much it would cost to get the NLE and Tracker options finished…. but based on the numbers of sales i see from training video sales on various products… i can definitely say there is vast potential for adding that new vertical market.

They key is doing it just right. There is another company (im not naming names) who missed the boat to be quite honest with their attempt to make something similar…. so it left lots of sour tongues and openings for someone to step up and do it right.

as for partnering with SGO…. yea.. that would be a dream come true. Most of you have no idea what mistika is… but if you ever heard of smoke or flame

and if you ever saw large control surfaces with all those buttons? …

imagine being able to assign killer animations in realtime using control surfaces like the one that comes with the big boy mistika! Even using the tangent element on the base model is pretty cool idea. I havent tried to make an interface for that yet into houdini… but its on my list.

if SGO can change from DVS to AJA like im hearing is going on… then its an indication that change is not only acceptable but is driven by customer demand.

I dont want to speculate any more about my requests… i am a dreamer that aims real high… but if SESI or SGO asked me… i would open up the cmiVFX database of talent to help them make it happen. (thats how cool i think it would be)

even tho they are on the two opposite sides of the industry… they literally fit together VERY WELL.

if they cant work together… then its important to vote on what features you like (no matter if they are in this thread or not)… but dont be afraid to say new things, since its the NEW that drives the industry forward.

Wow, i havent said this much on a forum in a while.

lol

c
4189 posts
Just be reassured that every few months or so, someone posts on the forum promising to make sure Houdini ‘stays relevant’ if they just follow n number of steps…
636 posts
the statement Houdini ‘stays relevant’ is for me not that important. the idea with this composinting and colorgrading functions is more the completeness of the pipeline with one tool.

it would be sick to have mistika instead of mplay for the preview.
as chris said it's just a dream but it's a good one. :-)
4189 posts
Any merger is usually a disaster as one of the packages has to lose so the product wins. In the case of Foundry and Lux - is still not working properly, and, the two users cultures are alien to each other. Lux is mainly hobbyists, Foundry is pro users - they talk past each other.
  • Quick Links