License - can you install on 2 PCs?

2391   4   1
13 posts
Hello,

Is it possible to install Houdini on 2 machines with same license while only 1 working with one at any given time?

Reason being - I dont want to freeze up my main workstation while it simulates.

PC2 has relatively weaker Hardware (old ATI GPU but same CPU) so I cant use it as primary PC for houdini. Does the license allow using 2 PCs as such and what is the best way to set it all up? - Ideally would be great to just envoke some batch process without UI on PC2.

Thank you
85 posts
Apparently not!
I had the same question a while ago:
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=40694&highlight=floating+license [sidefx.com]

Regards, Robert
Houdini, Cinema4D, 3Dcoat, Marvelous Designer
13 posts
Thank you! Very helpful.

Suppose i transfer my license to another PC with that unpredictable hardware. I always had GPU problems with Houdini, especially ATI so I am very concerned about the following from FAQ: “You may return your license up to 2 times.”

Is there a timelimit to this similar to OCTANE licensing? Or suppose hardware is not supported, I simply waste these 2 times by going back and forth?

Thank you
30 posts
Since you can install apprentice on as many PCs as you want - and you can open up any file with apprentice you should be able to establish with a high degree of probability if or if not the hardware works before sorting out a licence transfer.
2551 posts
I believe the 2 times is annually. So you can transfer the license between machines two times a year.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links