Rendering Stops at 2am...hmmm...

2933   5   2
22 posts
This has never happened before (with C4D, Maya, or Houdini), but at 2:00am my rendering just stops–the last rendered frame states 2:00. Is there something in my system, maybe other apps, that may be causing this? This has happened only the last three nights. Very strange. I did install a daily build (15.0.280) a few days ago, maybe that has something to do with it….And I am a Houdini Indie user….

—-

Platform: windows-x86_64-cl17
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64 (6.2.9200)
Number of Cores: 16
Physical Memory: 31.90 GB
OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 355.82
OpenGL Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Detected: NVidia Consumer 6144 MB
2531 posts
Maybe power saving right?

I had some problems, a while ago, where I could not render through the night. It was a combination of power saving (the hard drive was powered down when idle) and the nVidia driver TDR issue.

My machines are now set to always on and I have altered the registry to disable the TDR “feature”.

It is weird that a computer can consider itself as idle when the CPU is pegged rendering.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
22 posts
It seems it has to do with the Adobe Ap Manager (I'm guessing), because it updates at 2am. I've since disabled it and we will see…

Also, I noticed your comment about the agent cam–I get it to work but when rendering the node states “unable to render this camera” (or something to that effect.) Other cameras render fine, but not the agent camera. Any advice on getting this cam to render?

Could it possibly be disabled in the Indie version (that would be most odd)?

Thankee…
105 posts
Please do take a look at your Windows Update settings too. IIRC, they are set by default to update at 3AM and will automatically reboot your workstation if needed :cry:

Cheers,
tk
1743 posts
tkngs
Please do take a look at your Windows Update settings too. IIRC, they are set by default to update at 3AM and will automatically reboot your workstation if needed :cry:
Yeah…. I'm really not looking forward to getting bitten by the mandatory automatic update rebooting on Windows 10. At least Mantra has render checkpointing now (for non-deep-pixel images), so partial progress on the last frame can be reused, but I don't think there's an easy way to automatically resume everything as soon as the computer reboots.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
22 posts
You can adjust those settings in Windows 10 (I disabled auto-updating, etc. as soon as I installed the thing.)

The problem was with Adobe Application Manager–it was set to update at 2am. Don't know why it screwed with Houdini (my computer didn't reboot.) At any rate, I disabled AAM somewhere in Windows (Windows Services?), can't recall……..problem solved.
  • Quick Links