Houdini 15 Crashes in Windows 10 (display driver)

5151   6   1
3 posts
I'm trying to learn Houdini 15 on my laptop but it keeps crashing frequently and randomly.

My Nividia display driver crashes saying it's not responding and then my entire pc crashes.
I get the following error: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

Here are my laptops specs:

Windows 10
Intel Core i7 - 4702MQ @ 2.20 GHz
Ram: 8 GB
Nividia GT 750M

The specs are not great but other 3D programs like Maya works fine. So I'm assuming this has got to do with Houdini.

Please help me fix this. Very important for me.

Thank you
2539 posts
Because you mention TDR, check out this thread.
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=41371 [sidefx.com]
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
4 posts
hey folks,

I posted a reply on the thread that you mentioned, but i realized I should have put it here.

Has anyone solved this at SideFX yet? I have this same crash with my amd + windows 10 when navigating around the scene view viewport. But only when there's something in it.

thanks.
Staff
5161 posts
If it's a TDR reset, Nvidia recently released a new driver that fixed this problem (which was apparently Win10-specific). You might want to try one of their newer drivers and see if that solves the problem.
Staff
5161 posts
However, you might want to avoid the driver Nvidia just released today (364.47) if you have multiple monitors, as you can get stuck in a blue-screen loop:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/49cy4i/new_36447_driver_released_with_vulkan_support_in/ [reddit.com]

sigh, hard to give good advice these days…
2539 posts
You must enter a message when posting, wrong thread…
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
1 posts
You must have a 64 bit system for Houdini to function smoothly & properly.
  • Quick Links