Mouse CHOP and imitation of inertia

4385   2   1
6 posts
I am trying to create kind of delayed responce effect while exporting tx and ty channels from Mouse CHOP to some object or to Transform SOP inside some object.
It works fine for direct connection (Mouse tx -> object tx, Mouse ty -> object tz). But I am trying to introduce some delay in object reaction. As if object has some inertia.
Initially I tried to insert Lag CHOP after Mouse CHOP end export “delayed” channels. Did not work. Spring CHOP did not work either. Yesterday somebody suggested me
the way to fix the problem. Export channels from Mouse CHOP to the Null object , then fetch those channels back in Channels Editor , add Lag CHOP and export
“delayed” channels to the object with “inertia”. He said that this way (by fetching channels back in CHOPs editor) I could ensure that channels in Fetch CHOP would be
actually cooked as opposed to Mouse CHOP in which you can see not the channel curves but only values of tx and ty in this particular moment. Maybe I have missed
something but , it did not work either. I could certainly use Record CHOP instead of Mouse CHOP and actually record my mouse motions, save channels to disk and then
use saved data. But I would like to have some interactivity.
Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated ;-)
Edited by - Jan. 30, 2003 03:33:51
7710 posts
I just tried this and it seemed to work:
- create mouse chop: turn on time slice
- append lag chop: set lag to 1 1, and turn on time slice, set export flag
- go into object viewer. make sure I have a geo1 object and that it is properly overrided. Notice how mouse movement is speedy without lag
- set playback mode to loop in the play bar
- hit the play button
- now mouse moves with lag

The main problem I think is that lag requires a couple of frames of data in order to work so you need turn on time slice mode and continuously play so that it generates the lagged data.
Edited by - Jan. 30, 2003 03:30:23
6 posts
edward, thanks a lot ! Time slicing appeared to be the key. RTFM ! (yes, it's about manuals)
  • Quick Links