Houdini Particles in Unity?

10819   4   1
1 posts
I know this has been asked a million times. There used to be a thread with a description of a workaround in order to get Houdini particles into Unity.

Is anyone currently doing this?

350 posts
ditto, I want to know as well!! Is it possible say, to export a particle simulation from Houdini via alembic or other format and bring into Unity3D?
350 posts
Just wanted to say I think one answer is using the Mosaic node with rendered particles as mentioned in this video https://vimeo.com/164776667 [vimeo.com]

Whats really needed are a couple in depth tutorials!<hint>
Edited by art3mis - June 23, 2016 15:30:45
402 posts
We hear you.
402 posts
The problem is not so much bringing over the particles from Houdini to Unity. The problem is what to do with these particles once they are in Unity.

Animating them is not really an option right now because that requires full simulation on the Houdini side - something that is too slow for games in general and requires a full installation of Houdini to work.

The other aspect is that particles in Houdini drive other things, like water, sand, snow, crowds, etc. Most of those things are also way too expensive right now for game use.

The main question to answer when you ask for better particles support in Unity is what you actually want to do with these particles.
  • Quick Links