Need some Help with the PolyReduce SOP

2352   3   0
17 posts
Hi everyone,

I am having some issues getting the PolyReduce Sop to do what i want. (or possibly im expecting it to do something it cant.)

What I am trying to do is create a cube, which i run a voronoi fracture on and then offset the 4 quadrants to make the mesh tileable. (see image 1)

I then want to use this tileable mesh as a base to refracture to create a tileable destructible wall. Now the issue I am having is cleaning up all of the interior faces that were generated with the voronoi operation. The solution i am trying at the moment is to convert the result to a VDB with a very low voxel size to give me enough accuracy to capture the edge detail, then convert it back to polys and then run a poly reduce with the original mesh as a feature.

i have the stiffen border and features set at 10,000 which should penalize it from changing from the original however it is still refusing to match the point positions of the original mesh. resulting in small cracks when i try to tile the mesh next to each other. the reduce operation is also causing one specific area of the emsh to be very dense which i do not understand.

Any help would be great. I am also open to any other suggestions to try and solve this.

I have attached the file along with some images of the issues if anyone would like to take a look.

Thank you!
Edited by chrisjuuuh - Sept. 30, 2016 05:29:03

Attachments:
houdini-help1.jpg (213.6 KB)
houdini-help2.jpg (132.6 KB)
houdini-help3.jpg (246.4 KB)
fracture-asset.hipnc (173.3 KB)

648 posts
see attached…
try tiling at the source points
Edited by anon_user_40689665 - Oct. 2, 2016 01:01:37

Attachments:
fracture-asset_tiled.hipnc (216.8 KB)

17 posts
this is almost exactly what i want. the issue with this approach though is that you are removing a lot of geometry to make it tiling. this would result in texture seams or (in the case of other shapes than a cube) geometry not alligning. gonna have a look and see if I can use some of your ideas to find a solution for my issue.

thank yoU!
Edited by chrisjuuuh - Oct. 3, 2016 05:00:29

Attachments:
TiledUVs.jpg (346.9 KB)
TiledGeoAndUVs.jpg (432.5 KB)

648 posts
try setting vertex uvs near the source…

Attachments:
fracture-asset_tiled_uvs.hipnc (395.4 KB)

• Quick Links