Is it ok to have Houdini Apprentice Licences (local) installed for learning purposes and commercial licences for production at one facility?

2642   2   0
63 posts
Hi everyone,
as far as I have understood, it would be fine to have, on the one hand, commercial licences, and then one or two locally installed apprenctice licenses at the same company. The two licence types should not interfere with each other, right? I am asking because where I work we have a commercial licence, but only one person can use this for production (obviously). But there are also one or two people who would simply like to learn houdini (completely outside of the production side of things - so non commercial) for possible later use. As already stated I believe it to be no problem to have an apprentice licence installed in addition, but I thought I should ask here to be sure.

Cheers,

Doug
184 posts
I'd email sales for an answer to this (they're always extremely fast in responding).

When I moved from Apprentice to FX a few years back, I asked a similar question - I was told it was fine back then, but not really a great idea. Even if you avoid license server hassles, all it takes is one little accident to turn a .hip into a .hipnc (or same to an HDA or OTL).

Not sure I'd be comfortable with that in a company setting and users not yet familiar with Houdini.
63 posts
Thanks for your reply AdamT,

yes, I guess I will do that. I was just wondering if there were anyone hier on the forums that had any experience with it.

Cheers,

Doug
  • Quick Links