Point selection does not work in UVedit SOP

4659   11   2
378 posts
It was the same in H15 so I thought it must have been reported already. But it is still there in H16. Maybe its intentional?
I can select points in the 3d view with an active UVedit SOP and then transform them in the UV View but I can't select points in the UV View which makes tweaking individual points a PITA.
Anyone else has this problem?

Attachments:
point_sel-UVEdit.gif (1.3 MB)

1743 posts
This probably isn't specific to the UVEdit SOP. It's probably all point selection in the UV viewport, so thanks for bringing it up. Can you submit a bug report for this if you haven't already? https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [sidefx.com]
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
4189 posts
Bet it's because the UV's are Vertex attributes, try selecting them as vertex instead of points.
378 posts
Artye
Bet it's because the UV's are Vertex attributes, try selecting them as vertex instead of points.

editing a UV mesh using vertices is not practical. You have to box select 4 vertices and the transform them. quick tweaking is not possible that way. Since I can select the points in the 3D view and then transform them in the UV view which also transforms the vertices I don't think it is forbidden.
You can also select edges and primitives in the UV view. Bet lost
Edited by OneBigTree - March 1, 2017 11:49:16
378 posts
I reported the issue as bug. Here is the conversation with support:

Hi Silvana,

I am using the UV edit SOP.

It is not scene dependent (I've attached the scene anyway). Create a
sphere, apply an UV Texture, apply an UVedit. switch to UVView, switch
to point selection (turn sloppy selection off)

Then try to select points in the UV view. Doesn't work. Switch to 3dView
with the UVedit active, select points, switch back to UV View. Points
selected and editable.

Response

Hello,

Our developers feel that this is an RFE (request for enhancement): to select vertices via their points in the UV viewport.

This is logged as RFE (ID# 81079)

Cheers,

Silvina

A bug logged as an RFE? Our developers “feel”?
Lets just have a look at the docs, shall we?

“Using UV Edit

1 click the UV Edit tool on the Texture tab
2 Select the primitives, points, edges or vertices to edit and drag the handles to move the UVs.”

I'm sorry but things like that really are not encouraging to use houdini. Either the Docs are wrong or the devs do not know their own software. I can not believe not being able to select points in the UV view should not be possible by default.

Attachments:
decbiicb.jpg (48.6 KB)

Staff
181 posts
I am sorry for the confusion this has caused you. We will fix the documentation as soon as possible.
Staff
5154 posts
It looks like it's intended to be supported, but is missing a shader for selecting points when the UVs are on the vertices.
86 posts
Hey,

sorry for bringing this thread back up but i ran into the same issue.

It cant be intentional, can it?

Is there any word on if this will be corrected at some point?
4189 posts
Working fine on MacOs with Nvidia & Intel H16.0.643
86 posts
I guess you mean the Vertex selection that you mentioned above, correct?

Okay - that is working for me too. But it would be nice to use just the points as it is mentioned in the documentation.
378 posts
powerstroke3000
I guess you mean the Vertex selection that you mentioned above, correct?

Okay - that is working for me too. But it would be nice to use just the points as it is mentioned in the documentation.

Tweaking UVs with vertex selection is really tedious. As of now (prod. build 671) it is not fixed. THere doesn't seem to be a high demand for UV editing workflow….
86 posts
We will see - i think Luiz and Mikes presentation will involve some sort of new UV editing workflows. So there might be some improvements in general. But that one was not uploaded yet.

But yes - i agree it is extremely tedious - and as mentioned by a poster (actually i think that was you^^) before it should work with points, since it is stated in the docs.

EDIT:

Actually we seem to be getting some new UV tools - check the end of the presentation!

https://vimeo.com/228233111 [vimeo.com]
Edited by anon_user_58123709 - Aug. 4, 2017 12:33:51
  • Quick Links