The Floating Islands of Houdini 16 - A beginners approach

6933   10   2
15 posts
The first episode about my building process of the floating islands of houdini. It is based on a workshop created by Rohan Dalvi. A very detailed indepth course about the tools you need for this project.

My goal with this video series is my own learning and take you with me on that journey. I also going to bring as much of my own ideas into this as possible.
Also I am going to update the techniques to the Houdini 16 version. For example I am going to make heavy use of the VEX language and replace all older nodes like point sops.

Since I am a beginner myself this series will also be more suited for beginners BUT I am happy for every experienced Houdini user that might chip in with tips and tricks that could help in this project.

I want to emphasize that I DON'T want to just copy the content of the course. The workshop of Rohan Dalvi will be still relevant because of his great work as a tutor.
This video series will let you accompany me while I try to apply the learned techniques and take different approaches like using vex whenever I can.

1755 posts
Very interesting idea, that of taking others with you on a journey of learning.
As far as IP goes, I can't advise you in any way, but make you sure you do the proper research in order to not infringe upon Rohan's work in any way - his is a paid tutorial after all.
15 posts
I did of course wrote with him first - to tell him what I have in mind.

My small series will be no complete replacement of his work. He goes more indepth with the tools and even does extra explanation videos on topics like the fur generation.
Edited by David_Kahl - March 11, 2017 14:01:42
1755 posts
That's great. Keep up the good work!
15 posts
I finish up the creation process for the main island in this Houdini project. The mesh will be the basis for future steps.

To do this I generate a color gradient and use it to drive the displacement. There is an interesting VEX related conversion issue you need to be aware of if you try that expression.

Episode 1

Episode 2
Edited by David_Kahl - March 22, 2017 04:24:51
15 posts
Episode 3 - Boolean Sculpting for the stone circle
7709 posts
FYI, you can just do TAB > Box in the network view even when you're at the Scene level. This avoids needing to do the extra step of deleting the File node inside.
15 posts
edward
FYI, you can just do TAB > Box in the network view even when you're at the Scene level. This avoids needing to do the extra step of deleting the File node inside.

Ahh - thanks!
15 posts
This time I create a small stone wall that runs along a curve. For that to work you need the Normals also to align along that curve.

And as an additional step I randomize the placement by using a Goup Expression node.

15 posts
Let there be fur… grass on the island!

15 posts
A short Teaser for a growing animation I added to the island

• Quick Links