Impossible to export it right

2588   4   1
8 posts
Hi,

I made this asset in houdini, following a tutorial of Entagma.

I have tried to export it as fbx, alembic and obj but I can export it successfully.

Alembic: Export the groups but not geometry

FBX: Export full geometry but not groups

OBJ: Export only 2 booleans, the third one is missing.

I attach the scene, maybe some one could try to export it? I am very new with the software, and I don't find anything about it. I hope someone can give me a hand.

Thanks for your time

Cheers
Edited by JavierVerdugo - June 29, 2017 18:21:13

Attachments:
OK.hiplc (228.3 KB)

6 posts
I just quickly tested this with an OBJ and all the booleans / groups do come across.
Different apps will pick these up differently obviously, in LW the groups come in as parts (GIF).
I'd test other apps but my main machine is out of action.

Also, I simplified your test setup, just a lot less polys and scattered points, as it's pretty heavy to play with on my old laptop here.

Attachments:
OBJ.gif (214.3 KB)

7734 posts
Depending on what app you are trying import the alembic into, the path attribute is usually a better way to go than groups. Especially for Maya. The path attribute can partition the geometry into shapes and transforms, allowing for absolute control over hierarchy.
8 posts
Hello guys, thanks for the responses.

Could you explain me a little deeper how path attribute is used? I have google it but get random stuff that don't explain the thing.

Thank you.

ADK you told me you simplified my asset but you didn't attached it!

Cheers
6 posts
JavierVerdugo
Hello guys, thanks for the responses.

ADK you told me you simplified my asset but you didn't attached it!

Cheers

All I did Javier was decrease the poly count on the internal boolean (the one that produces all the irregular noise/cuts along the y axis) as well decrease the internal sphere count (scatter SOP) and their poly count. Not sure if I saved it but happy to reproduce it if you need. It took too long to cook otherwise.
  • Quick Links