Packed objects, instancing, materials problem.

2852   2   0
54 posts
Hi im working on vegetation scene and testing worflows with Mantra.

I have this scene/setup with tree:

First part:
- I have tree geometry with groups that contain trunk/branches/leafs.
- with Material SOP assign each group the material they need.
- Then I convert object to packed and export as bgeo.

Second part:
- In new Geometry node, import with File SOP exported tree object as packed disk primitive.
Problem #1 At this part I dont understand how to assign materials back to each group…
I undesrand there is style sheets, but I cant found how to work with packed prims and if there is some automated way how packed prim gets the material automaticly?

Third part:
- I use instance object to populate ground with this tree, I aim to the imported packed disk prim.
Problem #2 Mantra takes infinte time to load the scene when I sue instance, basically, I cant start the rendering.
What im doing wrong in this workflow?

I have the scene but it uses Evermotion tree so I probably cant share, atleast in public, i might create tree out of speedtree and share the hip for those who are interested to have a look.
Edited by tomsvfx - Aug. 22, 2017 07:43:22
7762 posts
If you saved your bgeo out in the first part with the material assignments, you don't need to assign the materials again in the second part, just be sure to enable ‘declare all shops’ on your mantra node.
54 posts
Thanks jsmack! That got it working, it seems that also instancing problem is fixed because of this.
Edited by tomsvfx - Aug. 22, 2017 20:32:21
  • Quick Links