Landscape hole

3853   5   1
8 posts
Hi,

I have my heightfield importing into Unreal as a landscape and everything is working fine.
I'm just trying to figure out how I can set hole information via Houdini?

Thanks,
Dave
8 posts
So I searched through the Unreal Engine C++ and the holes are controlled / created by a Visibility layer that's added to the landscape, this is a separate non-material layer that's only added if needed.

After that I took a look through the Houdini plugin C++ code and it looks like Houdini will translate the Heightfield data into the height layer for the landscape and then any other layers (rock, flow, …) will be converted into material layers.
It looks like there's nothing currently there that will create the visibility layer.

If anyone can confirm my findings, that'd be great.
I'll keep digging and if I find anything else I'll update this topic for anyone that finds it in the future.

Cheers,
Dave
Staff
534 posts
Hi Dave,

Your findings are correct, there is currently no way to create landscape holes via the plug-in, as the various heightfield masks are converted to landscape material layers and not visibility layers.

I've added an RFE for this and will update this post when the feature's been added to the plug-in.
8 posts
Thanks Damien, appreciate it.
22 posts
dpernuit
Hi Dave,

Your findings are correct, there is currently no way to create landscape holes via the plug-in, as the various heightfield masks are converted to landscape material layers and not visibility layers.

I've added an RFE for this and will update this post when the feature's been added to the plug-in.
It's a very useful feature, really hope it can be added.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Tomorrow's build of the plug-in (16.5.530) will support landscape hole creation through the plug-in.
This can be achieved by having a landscape mask called “visibility”.

The plug-in will automatically convert that mask to the landscape's visibility layer.
  • Quick Links