Help Browser

5934   9   1
21 posts
Hi guys,
I just did a fresh install of Houdini Apprentice 8.0.474_linux_x86_64 after I have 8.0.410 for a while. Now when I change the Pane to the Help Browser, I get an empty window, only the address chrome/houdini/locale/home.html is shown. System is Linux, CentOS 4.2. In 8.0.410 the Help Browser worked without any problems.

kind regards
Tommy
21 posts
anyone??
7725 posts
Does $HFS/mozilla/hbrowser exist? It may be that mozilla isn't building under 64-bit linux?
21 posts
yes, there is the shell-script hbrowser and the program hbrowser-bin in /opt/hfs8.0.474/mozilla. Like I mentioned before, this issue just appeared with this version od houdini.

kind regards
139 posts
Do you get any error messages on the console when you try and open the help browser?
21 posts
ok, I tried to start hbrowser in a console (without houdini started and a second time with houdini started) and I get:

./hbrowser: line 10: cd: /mozilla: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden(“which means: no such file or directory”)
./hbrowser-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
7725 posts
The cd error is likely because you forgot to do a source houdini_setup in that shell first. As for the second error, that's more telling. Do you have gtk2.8? If not, then you will need to update to at least that version. Otherwise, you will need to use the 32-bit build.
21 posts
thanks, I will have a look at this…

kind regards
21 posts
Ok, the gtk version shipped with CentOS 4.2 (=RedHat EL4.2) is 2.4.13.18. There seems to be no official update available at the moment. So I went back to Houdini 8.0.410 and the help browser is working again. But just a tought: With this behavier of the newest official Houdini build you cannot call RHEL4 x86_64 a supported OS…

regards
7725 posts
Where does it say that? According to the download page, the x64 linux build is listed under Debian 64-bit Linux (sid)*. And if you read the * note at the bottom, it says:
* Side Effects Software does not officially support these platforms, and the suggested download is provided with no guarantee that Houdini will function properly.

So you're running the x64 linux build on a platform that's not even listed (for x64).

The only supported build of RHEL4 I see is the 32-bit one?
  • Quick Links