install error

4391   5   0
2 posts
hi all newbie here

iam trying to install houndini 8.0.383 on win xp sp2 . it was installed on my earlier system .

now if i try and run the installer it installs upto 89% and i get a error

c:\houndini\custom\include\sys failed to create dir..
and it rolls back.

idunno what's wrg any help would be gr8ful.
thanksss
139 posts
How much free space do you have on your hard drive?
2 posts
catlee
How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

more than 4 gb
387 posts
allthatjazz
c:\houndini\custom\include\sys failed to create dir..

It's always a good idea to cut & paste the exact error, so that there's no doubt about whether the directory name contains a typo. ie: houNdini?

Usually the Windows version of Houdini installs into C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 7.0.383\

I took a quick look at my Windows install and couldn't find any directory called “custom”. I'm looking at version 7.0.392. Oh! There's some extra custom stuff installable isn't there? I guess I don't have that installed. I'm running the linux version anyways (and am just looking at a read-only mount of the Windows filesystem via linux).

Suggestions: Perhaps you should rename C:\houdini to C:\houdini.old and try again. It could be that there's stuff already in C:\houdini which is colliding with the installation process. Then if it installs ok you could delete the houdini.old directory (assuming there's nothing in there you want).

I hope it's not simply that you have a typo. houdini vs houndini

Alternately, perhaps you're also trying to install some (unnecessary) extras. Afterall, the dir is called “custom”. Did you select extras to be installed? Unselect extras and try again.

cheers,
ben.
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
234 posts
one more tip:
I had an installation problem also, and the catch 22 was in a way I downloaded the installation. I use getRight! dwnload mngr, and after I did a plain download with firefox built-in download mngr everything was fine. Why, I don't know…
7733 posts
Which version of GetRight did you use? Did you abort midway through and recontinued?
  • Quick Links