Smoke Solver without source volume

1881   2   0
2038 posts
Hello,

I've been looking through some examples of how to apply color to smoke with sims, and ‘pulling apart’ the examples to get a better understanding of how things work, instead of just copying the example - So I have lots of questions.

But for this post I'll stick to one.

In a previous post a few years ago J.Wagner chimes in with an example hip.

I looked at this example and am perplexed as to how the colored grid(source node) is getting simmed at all( the downward smoke from the grid), aside from the color;

When in the Autodopnetwork I cannot find any reference to the source object being referenced.

Usually I see a SourceVolume node in the network referencing the source volume - but in this hip there is no reference and I searched in the entire netork on all the different tabs/parameters and can't find any reference to the source volume.

So I don't see how a simulation is getting made.

Feedback is appreciated - Thanks.
Edited by BabaJ - June 11, 2018 13:35:29

Attachments:
No Source Volume Referenced.hipnc (1.1 MB)

166 posts
He is sourcing from the SOP Vector Field DOP called “get_color”. In the sim he only got this color field and velocity, so the “smoke” you are referring to is the color field visualized as smoke (Vector Field Visualization node).
2038 posts
How is that?

What is ‘get_color’?

The SOP Vector Field DOP does refer to the source node. But in that source node there is no reference, attribute/intrinsic that is ‘color’. That I can see.

In the AutoDopNetwork and importsmoke1 nodes, if you change all parameters that have the name ‘color’ to some name of your choosing, like say ‘something’ else, you still get a sim of the same shape and color of the source node volumes.

So just because the SOP Vector Field alone is referenceing the source node, in addition to creating the vector field ‘color’, it also passes into the sim the volumes from that source node?

Like in this case the volumes named Cd.x, Cd.y and Cd.z.

In other words it takes place of the typical dop node “SourceVolume” that I usually see referenceing the sources to be used for the sim?
Edited by BabaJ - June 12, 2018 09:12:05
  • Quick Links