Trouble Shaping High Velocity Pyro Sim

3103   5   2
11 posts
Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of a rough time trying to recreate a cool steam-like thruster effect I saw on a shot from the most recent Houdini customer reel: https://media.giphy.com/media/2sYerbT6O0wzsLXfK2/giphy.gif [media.giphy.com]

I'm having a lot of trouble shaping my pyro. Either I get a very noisy emission without the look of the cone emission, or I'm just getting a much to noisy/wispy look in the bottom section of the sim. I just can't seem to get that perfect balance between feeling powerful and still looking like it's in control.

If anyone has any tips and tricks or any example files/tutorials that might help out, please feel free to point me in the right direction. For anyone who's also interested, I've attached a cleaned up hip file as well. If I get any further with this in the coming days, I will make sure to update my progress.

Cheers

Attachments:
reference.png (816.9 KB)
example.png (156.0 KB)
rnd.landingThrusters.v50.hipnc (2.1 MB)

Your friendly neighborhood FX student.
2529 posts
You can use an arbitrary shape as a collision volume to shape smoke. Pump smoke into the volume and it will fill the volume as best possible.

Attachments:
collision_volume.gif (76.7 KB)
ap_rnd.landingThrusters.v50.hipnc (2.3 MB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2036 posts
Thanks for the example Enivob, new stuff there for me to look at.

I was curious about the Switch Value DOP, as the the docs say it's used in conjunction with the Switch Solver DOP, yet I don't see any Switch Solver DOPs anywhere.

Anyone know of a tut that covers some of the details of this node that is similar to what Enivob is doing?

Can't seem to figure out how the ‘Data Name’ parameter figures in to it all either with ‘SolverParms/NumSolvePasses’.

Don't see those names being reference anywhere else and am not sure if it's a user defined reference or to some internal pre-existing parameters.
11 posts
Thanks Enviob, this looks very promising! I'll play around with this and then post an update with my progress.

BabaJ
Can't seem to figure out how the ‘Data Name’ parameter figures in to it all either with ‘SolverParms/NumSolvePasses’.

BabaJ, I was using the Switch Value DOP to control the Gas Repeat Solver I placed in pyrosolver/smokesolver_build/. The data name ‘SolverParms/NumSolvePasses’ is referenced in that Gas Repeat Solver. Screenshot attached.

I got the concept from this tutorial: Gas Repeat Solver Tutorial [www.sidefx.com]

In the tutorial, I believe he uses the Switch Value along side a Switch and Data Apply, but a colleague showed me that I could just use a single Switch Value node and just key frame it as I see fit.

Attachments:
screencap_dataname.png (755.0 KB)

2036 posts
Thank SirClarks for the feedback and the tut reference.
11 posts
As promised, here is an update. After trying out Enivob's method, which worked really well for what I was initially asking, but just wasn't getting me the results I needed. I chose to instead split the pyro sim in two, separating out the upper “cone” shape from the lower puffier smoke and then just merged them together. This allowed me to cheat-shape the pyro and got me closer to my reference. I'm still a bit off, but below is my result.
Edited by SirClarks - Oct. 18, 2018 16:35:32

Attachments:
comp_rnd_landingthrusters.gif (5.9 MB)

• Quick Links