Liscence Problems

18557   21   0
17 posts
Hey, I wonder if you could help me. When I originally downloaded Houdini 8.0.474, the liscence downloaded fine and I had no problem. Now, after the first month, the liscence admin connects and downloads the liscence, but when I click “Run Houdini Master” it says I need the liscence, and downloads again, and keeps looping in this same way no matter how many times I keep accepting it. Can anybody help me with this at all? It would be appreciated a lot, thank you.
7725 posts
Hmm … It looks like there's a problem with the license server not returning the server key. In the meantime, please follow the instructions here for “Activating a Houdini Product without Internet Access”
http://license.sidefx.com/help.php?platform=windows&commercial=no&mode=quickinstructions#4 [license.sidefx.com]
(using the same computer of course)
7725 posts
Hmm … I can't seem the reproduce the problem anymore. I hope you got it to work regardless.
17 posts
Thanks so far. I followed those steps an received an error. I'm not sure but you might find this usefulk in helping me, too:

17 posts
By the way, I still need help with this issue if anyone knows what's wrong. It will sound really sad, but I'm really missing being able to use Houdini. It's been like a week now of it not being able to work and it's really starting to bug me :x
4262 posts
Do you have a static hostname? Or does your hostname change whenever you connect/renew your connection with your ISP?

A constantly changing hostname makes license servers unhappy.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
17 posts
Ah yes, as far as I know it changes everytime I reconnect. Is there a way to get round this problem then?
4262 posts
I believe so, but I'm not infront of Windows at the moment so I'm not sure how. I think there is some toggle that you need to turn off that says, “Allow connection to change hostname” or something like that.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
17 posts
Ok, thank you very much. I'd be more than grateful if you could find out for me. I will reply again if I manage to figure it out, but if I have not replied then you can assume I haven't figured it out and am crying in some corner somewhere begging it to work
7725 posts
Oh no. The licenses are keyed to your hostname. Things will definitely *not* work if your hostname is constantly changing.
6 posts
This is happening to me too except my host names never change. The workstation is not connected to the internet either. Any word on this?
7725 posts
If you're not connected to the internet, then follow the instructions in the above link.
6 posts
I already did that. I get the same error message.
7725 posts
Is your IP address changing then?
6 posts
No, it's a static IP
7725 posts
It's hard to tell. Perhaps try posting your diagnostic info from the License Administrator.
6 posts
Seems like it's something with the server key.

Attachments:
Houdini_Diagnostics.zip (1.8 KB)
Houdini_Diagnostics.zip (1.8 KB)

7725 posts
In your case, it looks like the first time you did it, you mistakenly gave it the wrong server code. This installed the incorrect server licence regardless and should have given you an error. However, the second time you grabbed the licenses with the correct server code, it refused to install the second server license because there was already one. The easiest way to fix this is to remove your c:\windows\keys\licenses file and then install the second set (ie. correct) licenses again.
6 posts
Beauty! Thanks
17 posts
Hey there. I just came back to this, I've been a little busy.

Does that mean in my case, then,. that I can never use Houdini on this computer again? Are you saying there's no way around this?
  • Quick Links