Baking position maps question

2940   2   1
80 posts
Hi I was following the procedural rock tutorial by Fabricio Chamon and thought it would be good to bake some maps out and texture the rock in Substance Designer. I know I could do it in Houdini but I'm more familiar with designer and thought it would work out well. I was hoping to create an substance that would take the normal and position map inputs baked from Houdini and generate the rest of the texture from those. This would mean I could texture them in engine using the substance and have to open one less program. I'm stuck at this point where the position map baking in Houdini compared to baking in Substance designer seems to be completely different. I'm probably just missing something embarrassingly obvious right?

TLDR: Why do the baked position maps look completely different between Substance Designer and Houdini?

Attachments:
Position bake comparison.JPG (81.5 KB)
rocks1.hiplc (1.1 MB)

3D Freelancer
https://www.artstation.com/ffd [www.artstation.com]
7 posts
how are you normalizing your positions before baking them? substance designers position maps are in object space and yours need to be as well .

@Cd = fit(@P,getbbox_min(0),getbbox_max(0),{0,0,0},{1,1,1});

this inside a point wrangle will normalize your positions relative to the bounding box.
Edited by divi-cig - March 6, 2019 01:36:41
80 posts
Thanks for your help! I wasn't normalizing anything before I was just using the games baker node with position checked. The position map from your method works properly in Substance Designer( I can mask off volumes and generate 3D noise) but I'm getting some banding in the edges of the volume masks and in the noise. I think this is due to quantization / bit depth but I can't find the right setting for it. I can blur this out and it looks OK I'm just curious to know what's going on. Any Ideas?

Attachments:
banding.JPG (21.5 KB)

3D Freelancer
https://www.artstation.com/ffd [www.artstation.com]
  • Quick Links