Houdini apprentice crashes on boot

5491   9   0
11 posts
I just installed the new version of apprentice on my laptop and when i go to start it up i get this error.

3400: Fatal error: Segmentation Fault
Saving application data to CDOCUME~1/Adam/LOCALS~1/Temp/Adam.3400.hip

i'm assuming its not being able to start the save file for some reason, but would like a bit more information if possible please. I'm running XP pro, and the license installed fine, when it boots the main window shows up, but the 3D viewpanel stays showing my desktop, then the message of that fault shows up in the message window. i have to open task manager to make them go away.

my laptop isn't a graphics machine, but i believe it meets the minimum requirements…

i have no problems with the version on my desktop, but the one i downloaded today for my laptop developed this problem.

thanks.
“For can not the mind create a heaven of hell, and a hell of heaven.” Milton
7726 posts
That sounds like a video driver crash. What are all your video settings? ie. video card and video driver version. If you go from the Start menu and choose License Administrator, does that crash? Which version of Houdini are you running?
11 posts
License Administrator opens fine. no problems with it opening.

Radeon IGP 320M is the graphics adapter my laptop has, and my driver is 6.14.10.6368 from ATI.

neither houdini master or select will open, i didn't test any of the others, but i tried those two, and i downloaded Houdini 8.1.648

and thank you for the assistance. 8)
7726 posts
Try setting the environment variable (Right-click on My Computer, Advanced > Environment Variables), called HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE to 1 and then try again. This will be slow but it will eliminate video driver causes.
11 posts
I got to the environment variables, but i'm not seeing HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE under the System variables.

should i try runnning the program and then checking?

thanks
7726 posts
You have to add a new one.
11 posts
ok man. thank you.
11 posts
that worked.

i was heading to a Ministry concert last night, but just added it and it opens up with no problems now.

Thanks
7726 posts
Ok, so it's a video driver problem then. I don't know what you can do except hope that future drivers will fix the problem while suffering with the subpar performance.
11 posts
i don't do most of my work on my laptop, so i'm not that concerned with performace on it… anything graphics oriented doesn't run well on it.

i just wanted to be able to model anywhere when i got inspired. i'm rarely at home, so now i might have more opprotunity to learn and create with houdini.

Thanks again for the direction. 8)
  • Quick Links