Guide deform curves different than Guide Groom curves at same pose

4877   5   1
9 posts
Hello, my character's groom changes in the guide deform node even at the exact same pose (I have the first frame the same pose, to check that it was changing it). Pictures of the curves and renders are attached, is it supposed to do this? If it isn't, how do I prevent it, and if it is, how do I edit my groom after the guide deform so it renders properly? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't seem to dig anything up by searching online.

First picture are the guide groom curves and the guide deform curves with enable deformation turned off (but I need them on, for the character to move).

Second is the guide groom curves (Red) with the guide deform curves (green/yellow) with enable deformation turned on, at the exact same pose.

Third image is a render of the hairgen following the guide groom curves, fourth is a render of the hairgen following the guide deform curves.

Edited by CRhackenbruch - March 19, 2018 14:07:31

Attachments:
Capture1.PNG (2.6 MB)
Capture2.PNG (3.1 MB)
Capture3.PNG (1.7 MB)
Capture4.PNG (716.9 KB)

2 posts
Hi, I'd like to take a look at your setup.. is it possible to attach the .hip file?
9 posts
Hello! Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for GDC and just returned the other day. Here's the .hip file, I have tried a few other things (I subdivide the geo from the obj and alembic within houdini, I tried subdividing outside of houdini and reselecting my groups, but that didn't seem to fix it). I only have a pose change here in the alembic but we have animations to cache and then simulate, I was using the pose change to test. I didn't put the textures in because it made the file too large to attach. Thank you so much!
Attachment Not Found

Attachments:
SideFX forums files.zip (12.2 MB)

2 posts
No worries! Here's the working file. The cause was the alembic and static mesh did not match exactly, but can be corrected by transferring P and N with an Attribute Transfer by UV (since both meshes have the same UVs)

There was also a small issue with the VDB skin in the Guide Groom and Hairgen (which was generated from a mesh that has holes), but it can be fixed by capping the eye sockets and the mouth with Polyfill and using VDB From Polygons node, you can find the setup in the file as well.

Attachments:
otter.PNG (925.3 KB)
ottergroom (2).zip (3.8 MB)

9 posts
Thank you so much! I was working around it for posed renders for this week by just relinking the posed obj in and it's been a mess. This makes my life so much easier and we're so happy to be able to sim our animations. Thanks again!

Attachments:
Otter_Render_Layout_Small.jpg (1.5 MB)

1 posts
Hello, I have the exact same case dealing with otters too GuideDeform node seems to find both rest geo and abc have differences and I struggle to make them work properly. I felt quiet lucky to find out there is request with scenes attached here so I decided to do some reverse engineering. Unfortunately I failed to transfer the uvs and never mind how much I try can not understand what the mistake is. I find Houdini pipeline and workflow to be realy awesome and I do my best to cope with basics. Coming from maya xgen I can say Houdini gives me freedom. However as newbie to Houdini UI and logic I have many gaps to fulfill… Could you please take a look and tip me the right direction?

Attachments:
Otter_GroomforForums.rar (4.2 MB)
PrintScreen.jpg (822.4 KB)

• Quick Links