Houdini Engine Simulations

3028   3   2
1 posts
Hi,

I’ve been looking everywhere for information on how to trigger running a Houdini dynamics simulation from UE4 and getting the results back to UE4. This is demonstrated in the video below (6:50) with the cable tool. The splines for the cables are drawn and the collision geo selected, then a simulation is ran on Houdini.

I haven’t been able to find any info at all about how to setup something like that.

https://vimeo.com/210679269 [vimeo.com]

Thank you.
4 posts
I ran into something similar recently. You can use a timeshift node after your simulation, clear the expression in the Frame channel and expose it as a parameter in the HDA as an integer slider. That way you can essentially pick a frame of the simulation and it will sim up to that point and then cook the results. Hope this helps.
Edited by Sskar - Aug. 6, 2019 21:39:22
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Exactly what sskar said, for any kind of simulation to be run via the plugin, timeshift nodes should be used to advance time.

This is because the plugin doesnt have a way to change the current frame in Houdini, so $F stays set to 1.

For the cable tool, the timeshift's frame parameter was promoted on the hda so the user can control the simulation time of the hda in unreal (after having unset the default $F expression on the timeshift node)
2 posts
we make many time node time shift but unreal engine in not simulate because only frame show in ue simulation missing any help please
  • Quick Links