Select and highlight + group in tree view

3283   4   1
54 posts
Imported an architectural model with 4500 nodes grouped in different groups

didn't make so sense to show them in node view.

I supposed selecting a node in the viewport will highlight it in tree view, but this didn't happen.

Also I suppose there is a way to select multiple nodes in tree view and next group them, also seems not possible.
I know there is a subnet option, but without being able to multiple select it's not useful. And I can't find what selecting without a feedback in the tree view when I select an object in the viewport.

Asking for advice
Edited by davide445 - Oct. 21, 2019 09:44:41
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 4x16GB 3200 Mhz, Kfa2 GTX 1070 EX 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, KDE Neon
4189 posts
shift+t in the network pane allows multi selecting.
26 posts
goat
shift+t in the network pane allows multi selecting.
Yes, but this doesn't display the scene hierarchy like the tree view does.

Every now and then I import an FBX or an ABC with a couple thousand objects and deep hierarchies, and working with these in the network view or the list view is awful. The tree view would be perfect for this kind of thing if it had basic functionality like multi-selection and drag+drop reparenting.
4189 posts
Check the RMB menu but it's pretty undiscoverable. Not really sure why Tree functionality hasn't been promoted.

Attachments:
TreeView.png (70.1 KB)

31 posts
i'm in the same boat and slightly baffled that something as sophisticated as houdini lacks something so basic. this is basically a showstopper for any larger scenes.
maya for example has a text field in the upper right corner where i can enter whatever name i want and after hitting enter all matching objects are selected. the network view has “find node” but the crucial difference is that it's not recursive so pretty much useless.

so what's the recommended way of selecting objects recursively? hscript? something else?
  • Quick Links