Import objects with their (animated) SRTs and groups

2322   2   1
3 posts
Hey all, happy new year.

I am pretty new to Houdini and even newer to lops. I am pretty excised about the idea of using lops as the lighting and render pass system in our pipeline.

My ideal scenario would be to be able to quickly import all the render geometry of my Houdini scene into lops and do materials and lighting in there. Now the big issue i have is:

-A scene import gives me all my geo including scene space positions and animated SRTs but doesn't give me any options to import groups (to assign materials to).

-A SOP Import gives me options to import the groups, but doesn't give me the (animated) SRTs.

The one way of solving it i found is going via alembic export, but ideally i wont need to go via alembic, but stay in Houdini& usd throughout. Well as i said, I am pretty new to it all, so if anyone has got a better idea of a workflow to come from an animation scene to a lops render scene please let me know.
7737 posts
I think scene import should respect usdconfigure sops within the objects imported to specify group/attribute translation fine tuning.
3 posts
Thanks jsmack, that does do the trick!

Still i think side fx should offer this as a one click solution the way they have it on the sop import..
and also the sop import should have a tick to respect the srt in my opinion - the same way the object merge has…

But yeah thanks this works.
  • Quick Links