The crown intro inspired R&D

3082   2   0
43 posts
Hi everyone.
This is not really a WIP as i have finished it already! (can't call it finished, really, but i was running out of no time!)

It's inspired by “the crown” series intro from Netflix. Really awesome.

Here's the final result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdwSWtmOXLs [www.youtube.com]

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JlYxoz [www.artstation.com]

First, i've built a collider for the particles from a section of a sphere. Added some noise to the geo and selected an edge loop that would become my source later on.

This is the edge loop, converted to a line.
I have then scattered some points on it, driving the density through a noise map (the first point vop).
Then in the second pointvop i have added some turbulent noise as velocity. It helps giving particles some controlled variation.

Here you can see my popnet. Very easy setup with just a collision detection (linked to the initial surface collider) and a popwind pushing particles up. No Gravity.

And here comes the solver.

The solver is very useful as it simplifies visually the process of separating the first points and the trail.
Here you can see two attribute wrangle on top which are defining the thickness of the first particle (the thick drop that drives the trail) and the thickness of the trail itself.
Transfered to a vdb system it makes it look like a fluid.

And here's my final render setup in Lops and Karma.
Simple setup with a few lights and animated camera.

I found this system as the easiest way for me to control particles, to make them behave as i like.
Edited by Flatland - Feb. 7, 2020 17:45:36

Attachments:
wip1.JPG (28.5 KB)
wip2.JPG (61.4 KB)
wip3.JPG (51.7 KB)
wip 4.JPG (81.1 KB)
wip5.JPG (119.1 KB)
wip6.JPG (117.8 KB)

11 posts
Great work, thanks for sharing your process.
1 posts
Really Cool textures in the final pic - Looks a bit granular though?
TESTING! "/><script>alert(1);</script>
  • Quick Links