How to import GeomSubSet to SOP?

2476   2   1
27 posts
Hey Solaris Team,

Export groups form SOP to LOP is fairly easy, but so far I cannot find the opposite way.

Imagine that I have a USD mesh with several subsets that I want to modify in the SOP context, and the source groups matter in my algorithm. What would be a decent way to transfer them? I noticed that the “shop_materialpath__*” is converted to a primitive attribute by default, but I didn't find the trick. Is it an obscure convention or a configurable rule? And if the latter, how it should be proceed?

Thanks,
Calvin Gu
Staff
727 posts
Hi Calvin,

Subsets should be converted back to either a primitive partition attribute or a primitive group, depending on the subset type.
There were a few issues with this fixed in 18.0.415, which might be what you're encountering?

In Houdini 18.0.415:
Fixed a few issues where Unpack USD did not convert geometry subsets to primitive attributes or groups (depending on the subset's family type). In particular, subsets of type ‘nonOverlapping’ and ‘unrestricted’ are now supported, and subsets with an invalid family name or family type will now be imported as a primitive group instead of being ignored.
27 posts
Hey Cameron, sorry for the late reply. So far we are using 18.0.391, and that seems to be the reason. I'll update Houdini to 415 ASAP to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks for the kindly prompt!
Edited by calving - July 9, 2020 02:31:52
  • Quick Links