obj object loading is extremely slow (ID# 105211)

2264   4   2
14 posts
Is there any chance we could get some attention to this? I wanted to bring it up again just to make sure it didnt fall through the cracks.

I am currently working with 10000's of .obj files (obj sequences) and the import times are so slow, that I might have to explore other avenue's. The bug was confirmed as (ID# 105211). I am trying to convert them to .bgeo files, but yeah… 3 seconds to load a 20k file is just making it completely prohibitive.

Thanks,
Oliver
Oliver Hotz
#creator of ODShelfTools for Houdini: https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_63 [origamidigital.com]
7740 posts
OBJ is an old slow ascii format. Is it possible to use a modern format such as alembic? Bgeo is houdini's native format, so loading is very fast, just a matter of copying into memory. All other formats have to be translated first.
14 posts
its not a matter of translation, there's something wrong in the obj loader.. (its been confirmed as a bug).. a file (like i said, 20k prims, but you could take anything (make a cube, export it as obj, and try the import).. it will take 3 sec to load… (off of an ssd)

one one of the devs's machines.. 0.3 seconds.. (which is expected, and which is what it loads like in other apps).. like i said.. its been confirmed and acknowledged, just hope it could get some love soon as it would really majorly help out here….

edit: (we dont have the luxury to request other formats, its what the delivery is, so stuck with .obj as incoming format)
Edited by heimlich - Aug. 19, 2020 14:13:55
Oliver Hotz
#creator of ODShelfTools for Houdini: https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_63 [origamidigital.com]
7740 posts
heimlich
its not a matter of translation, there's something wrong in the obj loader.. (its been confirmed as a bug).. a file (like i said, 20k prims, but you could take anything (make a cube, export it as obj, and try the import).. it will take 3 sec to load… (off of an ssd)

one one of the devs's machines.. 0.3 seconds.. (which is expected, and which is what it loads like in other apps).. like i said.. its been confirmed and acknowledged, just hope it could get some love soon as it would really majorly help out here….

edit: (we dont have the luxury to request other formats, its what the delivery is, so stuck with .obj as incoming format)

It's machine specific? strange
14 posts
jsmack
It's machine specific? strange

during the investigational stage, i tested linux/windows… with quite a few people.. always 3 sec.. (like i said you could just use a box, its almost irrelevant of the geo)..

but on one of the devs's linux box.. 0.3 sec…. we did a lot of testing, and since it was added as actual bug, I am hopeful.
Oliver Hotz
  • Quick Links