Texture/Mask/Displacement Painting HDA, WIP

53670   199   11
136 posts
Hey guys,
here's a little preview of an HDA I've been working on for the last two months. It's still very much work in progress but I wanted to share this already with you guys It allows you to paint/project masks/displacement maps and it records everything, so you can paint stuff and reproject with a different texture and you can scroll through a history of every brush stroke.

Here's the link :
https://youtu.be/1khaq9n7p7A3 [youtu.be]

All the best,
Wout
Edited by Wout Tengrootenhuysen - Sept. 6, 2020 13:38:31
136 posts
A render to show the result of my HDA generating a displacement map with controls for density/ /orientation/texture…

The tool generates a mask/height map which means I can blend the individual projections. In this render, there are about 7000 projections, blended together with an over blend mode using the alpha embedded in the texture file.
Edited by Wout Tengrootenhuysen - Sept. 7, 2020 10:14:58

Attachments:
07.jpg (815.3 KB)

5 posts
Wow man, that's real cool! If I were to sculpt some individual pore alphas, could you try them out with your tool on the pig? Really curious to see how it would turn out? I've thought about this before, think the concept is called texture bombing but not sure about it … my idea was to do instancing of planar UV projectors over the body and bake each one and merge them into one map that blends between all of the projections, but didn't think it was possible at the moment. I guess you've taken a different approach to it. This could be an awesome tool if pushed in the right direction and made more robust
136 posts
Hi !

Sure I'd love to !
5 posts
That's really quite impressive. Did you handle the painting entirely through python? And what's the renderer? Mantra?

The built in houdini tools for that are quite lackluster as far as I know. And the drawcurve sop being the only real option for scattering like this, and that slows down to a crawl going upwards of 20 strokes.

I'd love to play around with this, if you need someone for beta testing. I'm an unchallenged expert in breaking things, haha.
75 posts
Wout Tengrootenhuysen
A render to show the result of my HDA generating a displacement map with controls for density/ /orientation/texture…

The tool generates a mask/height map which means I can blend the individual projections. In this render, there are about 7000 projections, blended together with an over blend mode using the alpha embedded in the texture file.
Image Not Found

Can you do this procedurally?
136 posts
Hi Bennel,

yes it's all procedural, you can choose the amount of projections, the density, I'm gonna add a randomisation tab to it, so you can link the size to intensity, random orientations stuff like that. I'm working on the orientation with guides right now
Edited by Wout Tengrootenhuysen - Sept. 10, 2020 14:05:21
75 posts
What do you mean guides?
136 posts
A way to control the orientation of the projections based on points and direction vectors
75 posts
How do you add color onto and between the scales on the pig head? Can you layer or mix different displacements? I'm asking because of this paper.
Edited by Bennell - Sept. 10, 2020 17:28:08

Attachments:
Versatile Skin Material.pdf (3.8 MB)

136 posts
Yes, you can layer and mix the heightmap, with different blending modes, over, under, add subtract, multiply.
Edited by Wout Tengrootenhuysen - Sept. 10, 2020 17:51:12
75 posts
What about using curves to influence the flow of scales and pores? Also, since scales can't stretch in real life, can you prevent them from stretching using the HDA?
136 posts
I think that functionality will be provided by the guides I'm currently working on. As for the stretching, well, that depends on the projection settings. There are controls for projection angle, depth, etc. The “tighter” the settings, the less stretching there will be.
75 posts
Then this HDA has potential!
136 posts
Thanks ! I'm pretty excited about it. Just made a lot of progress with adding guides in an super intuitive way. Cool cool cool
Edited by Wout Tengrootenhuysen - Sept. 10, 2020 20:30:04
75 posts
One more thing. Can you remove individual scales on the pig with a brush?
136 posts
Not at the moment, but that should be fairly simple to add. Just a matter of selecting and deleting the right point.
75 posts
I just thought of something else. What about wrinkles that would influence the formation of scales like on this ostrich's foot?

Attachments:
Ostrich foot 2.jpg (1.1 MB)

136 posts
Hm, I think you can do that by projecting/painting a wrinkle texture and then blend it with the scales with an over blend mode. Cool picture !
75 posts
I've uploaded this video to be clear about what I was talking about before which is scales stretching. The scales are green and the skin underneath is red to show the range of stretch. Would this still be possible with your HDA? The scales are geometry.
Edited by Bennell - Sept. 11, 2020 10:27:58

Attachments:
10_RepTile_Scale_Test_03_SkinStretch.mp4 (699.8 KB)

• Quick Links