create poly line primitive from edge group

10470   4   3
47 posts
I have an edge group that I made by selected edges on a sphere.

I want to remove everything except the edge.

Blasting non selected with the edge group removes everything but the points. Which makes sense, because there are no line primitives prior to the blast, and the blast removes the polygon faces that were making up the line.

Is there a node to just give me the edge I selected as a line?

The add sop doesn't work because the point order isn't linear and I want to support branching.

Thanks!
Ben
Staff
727 posts
It sounds like the PolyCut SOP might do what you're looking for?
47 posts
Ah, yeah! Thanks! I've never used that before.

In order to get it to work, I had to make an edge group that was *not* my edge, set the type to edges, set strategy to ‘remove’ and untick ‘keep polygons closed’.

It also seems to output doubled up edges, so I had to put down a clean node afterwards to fix overlaps.

Thanks
Ben
9 posts
This is old topic, but asked frequently, so just wanted to point out SideFX Labs (former Games Tools) has also very clean and easy to use tool for creating curves from edges based on edge group called … well … “Edge Group To Curve”.
Edited by beny - Sept. 21, 2020 01:18:29
4 posts
beny
This is old topic, but asked frequently, so just wanted to point out SideFX Labs (former Games Tools) has also very clean and easy to use tool for creating curves from edges based on edge group called ... well ... "Edge Group To Curve".

Ahaaa! That's great, thanks Beny, just what I was looking for : )
  • Quick Links