Houdini 18 doesn't see eGPU on ubuntu

2316   2   0
39 posts
Hi everyone. I have a Mac mini. Recently installed ubuntu 20.04. Installed Houdini 18.5 latest prod build. When I open Houdini and go to parameters to choose OpenCL device it has only CPU in it and says that there is no device if you choose GPU. Ubuntu itself sees both internal Intel UHD and eGPU Radeon rx5700. I installed drivers for radeon, however I'm not sure they work as expected. When I Boot ubuntu with connected eGPU to it it freezes on booting (just black screen. If I hot plug after booting it works.
Does anyone have similar experience ? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS. Same setup but with macOS. Houdini sees all gpu so that has something to do with ubuntu.

Update. Tried to run this command: hgpuinfo and got this result:

Could not load devices on platform: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3143.9)). Ensure that the driver libraries are in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
No OpenCL platform has the specified device type (HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE): GPU. Falling back to built-in CPU OpenCL driver.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Edited by maxpayne - Nov. 7, 2020 14:43:59
28 posts
Same problem here. In a amd threadripper 1950x in a fresh Ubuntu install.
85 posts
maxpayne
Hi everyone. I have a Mac mini. Recently installed ubuntu 20.04. Installed Houdini 18.5 latest prod build. When I open Houdini and go to parameters to choose OpenCL device it has only CPU in it and says that there is no device if you choose GPU. Ubuntu itself sees both internal Intel UHD and eGPU Radeon rx5700. I installed drivers for radeon, however I'm not sure they work as expected. When I Boot ubuntu with connected eGPU to it it freezes on booting (just black screen. If I hot plug after booting it works.
Does anyone have similar experience ? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

PS. Same setup but with macOS. Houdini sees all gpu so that has something to do with ubuntu.

Update. Tried to run this command: hgpuinfo and got this result:

Could not load devices on platform: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3143.9)). Ensure that the driver libraries are in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
No OpenCL platform has the specified device type (HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE): GPU. Falling back to built-in CPU OpenCL driver.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Did you solve it?
  • Quick Links