UE4.26 Houdini engine installing problem

7226   9   2
4 posts
HI,
I'm trying to install houdini engine plugin for UE4.26 and installer doesn't seem to detect 4.26. It does detect 4.25/4.24 though.
I tried to get binaries from github rep, but it seems wasn't compiled for 4.26 yet.
Does it mean we don't have houdini engine for 4.26 yet?
Thanks,
A
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

The 4.26 version of the plugin (both v1 and v2) was available in the installer a few days after Epic released the engine.

Since we haven't released a production build since, it's only available on the H18.5 daily builds (H18.5.424+).

Same thing goes for the git repo, since the beta2 released before the UE4.26 release, the beta2 binaries were built for the only available versions of Unreal at the time, 4.24 and 4.25.

Anyway, H18.5 daily builds will have the 4.26 binaries.
4 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

The 4.26 version of the plugin (both v1 and v2) was available in the installer a few days after Epic released the engine.

Since we haven't released a production build since, it's only available on the H18.5 daily builds (H18.5.424+).

Same thing goes for the git repo, since the beta2 released before the UE4.26 release, the beta2 binaries were built for the only available versions of Unreal at the time, 4.24 and 4.25.

Anyway, H18.5 daily builds will have the 4.26 binaries.

Hi,
thanks for the feedback.
I did check with latest daily build (18.5.450?) with no luck...
27 posts
Did you try manually copying the plugin files to the UE installation folder? The installer may not do this for you.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Yes, since H18.5 ships with both version 1 and version 2, we dont copy the plugin automatically anymore.
You need to manually copy the plugin files from your houdini install to unreal's Engine/Plugins/Runtime directory.
4 posts
I'm getting the error attached below when I copy plugin files manually to Engine/Plugins/Runtime
It says that 'HoudiniEngine' failed to load because module 'HoudiniEngineRuntime' could not be found
Edited by asultanov - Jan. 15, 2021 02:56:00

Attachments:
error.png (5.8 KB)

7 posts
asultanov
I'm getting the error attached below when I copy plugin files manually to Engine/Plugins/Runtime
It says that 'HoudiniEngine' failed to load because module 'HoudiniEngineRuntime' could not be found

I have the same problem. Not found a fix for this yet.
27 posts
Can you list your flow and the full names/paths? For example, this is my flow:
  1. Shutdown UE4 if running.
  2. Delete any existing HoudiniEngine folders under 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\' and '<YourProjectFolder>\Plugins'.
    UE4 searches for all .uplugin files under these folders so if you have another version of the Houdini plugin, it may conflict.
  3. Copy the folder 'C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 18.5.462\engine\unreal\4.26-v2\HoudiniEngine\' to 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\'.
  4. Restart UE4.
  5. Enable 'Houdini Engine v2' plugin from Settings->Plugins window.
    At this point, UE4 will ask to restart for changes to take affect. After restarting, the plugin should be working.

If you encounter an error, at which step does it happen?
7 posts
I have done all the above and works there, I get that message running the packaged .exe created.
The only workaround I have is to bake the HDA assets, save & exit UE, then edit the UE scene file setting Houdini Engine to False in note pad.
27 posts
Just so it is clear, you're saying it works when you are playing from the editor. However, it does not work when you package the project and run the executable.

If that's the case, that's because the exe doesn't know where to find UE4Editor-HoudiniEngineRuntime.dll. You can try copying all the Houdini Engine dlls to the same folder as the exe or add the folder to your PATH environment variable.

I'm not even sure you can distribute a packaged exe with the Houdini dlls to a consumer as I think the consumer would also need a Houdini license and a license server installed for it to work.
  • Quick Links