Segmentation Faults Galore...

4847   4   1
22 posts
Hello,

I have been using the Aprentice vresion for about 3.5 months now and am experiencing segmentation faults with increasing frequency. I'm hoping that somebody can give me some strategic ideas for trouble-shooting these issues as they now happen every 5-10 minutes preventing me from making any meaningful progress with my project. Some details:

I'm working on a basic character animation short and my workflow progressed as follows. Modeling went smoothly with no errors that I can remember. Texturing started to reveal some instability. I really began to experience some “Segmentation Faults” with uv editing. I noticed that making rapid selections, adding/removing points, seemed to frequently cause errors. Using lasso selection and secure selection off also seemed to increse errors. I would estimate that during this phase I was experiencing them with about 6 - 10 times a day during an 8 hour work day. Rigging went very smoothly - I don't remember experiencing many errors at all. Binding and Weighting saw an increase in errors; again they popped up when making selections, adding/removing points, lasso/secure selection off. I was able to modify my wotk habits to get around the errors but not without feleling like I was being incredibly inefficient - many Q's and right-clicks. Animation has been a complete nightmare. Positioning/Selecting joints/ctrls, scoping/editing channels, playback, scrubbing, using the channel editor, and anyting else I'v tried with animation in one way or another has resulted in a Segmentation Fault. As I stated above, the frequqncy of these errors has prevented me for making any measurable progress with my work. I don't know if I'm working improperly within Houdini hence my files are screwed up or my workstation configuration is the culprit. I uninstalled/reinstalled, upgraded
Houdini versions and Video drivers several times to no avail.
Workstation details:

Dell precision 530, dual 2g Xeon Processors, Win2k service pack 3, Nividia
Quadro 900xgl video card with 42.82 drivers just upgraded from 41.09, Dual monitors, 1 gig Ram. If there is anything I left out please let me know. If anybody has any ideas of how I can trouble-shoot these issues pleeeeeeaaaaaase forward your suggestions. I'm desperately trying to finish my demo reel and I don't want to have to start over with maya. Thanks for your time…
7709 posts
Which version of Houdini Apprentice are you currently running?
22 posts
I upgraded to 6 from 5.5.208 hoping that it would help, but it's had the opposite effect. ..
7709 posts
Hi Johnny,

Could you try Houdini 5.5.230 from http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/ [vislab.usyd.edu.au] ?
I don't recall build 208 having been officially released to the public at large.

I'll PM you for some more info about Houdini 6.

Thanks!
22 posts
I've been working with 5.5.230 for about a week with no problems…thank you very much for your help.
  • Quick Links