Is aprentice Multi threaded?

6037   5   3
16 posts
I have a dual 1.4 athlon, gig of ram, lots of disk space running win 2k with Houdini Aprentice Edition 5.5.

How do I take advantage of both procs in the aprentice edition?
TAP TAP Umm is this thing on?
16 posts
Again I will post my own answer.

What i have found from another forum is that Houdini Aprentice is NOT multi threaded because it is the Aprentice version.

Work around is to sequence your hip files accordingly and launch 2 Houdini apps.

:wink:
TAP TAP Umm is this thing on?
1631 posts
Hi there,

I posted just before the forum crashed so my answer's gone.

Houdini Apprentice comes with only 1 Render License so you can't use two CPUs to render.

Cheers!
steven
344 posts
Hi Steve!

Peter told me about this a while back and I completely understand the reasoning behind limiting render licenses for Houdini Apprentice, but I have to ask, or maybe beg more appropriately.

Is there anyway you guys would consider giving Apprentice users 2 render licenses? I mean with the new area lights and GI in Apprentice 6 it'd be really, really helpful. You guys have done a great thing releasing Apprentice as it is, and I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth. I have two computers here and I'd love to be able to take advantage of distributed rendering with the Apprentice Challenge deadline rapidly approaching. Maybe you guys could consider offering 2 render licenses to Apprentice users just up until the Challenge deadline or something, since the licenses have to be renewed every 30 days. I understand you probably have to use a floating license to do this and I have no idea how much of a headache it would be for you guys to do something like this, so I completely understand if the answer is no, but I just had to ask.

Thanks a ton for all your hard work

Mike
1631 posts
Hi Michael,

I think it's a valid be… erm… request in light of the Apprentice challenge.

I'll forward your post to the relevant personnel.

Cheers!
steven
4256 posts
Houdini Apprentice comes with only 1 Render License so you can't use two CPUs to render

I'm not complaining, but when you say 1 Render License does that mean you should only be allowed one mantra process? Because in 6.0.243 I can fire up a lot. However mantra -H does NOT allow multiple hosts.

jim.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
  • Quick Links