Problem with diffuse map baking. Example included.

5010   7   1
10 posts
At the game company I work at we are trying to incorporate Houdini more into our pipeline. I was working on a mesh tile texture and wanted to bake to a plane, but got stuck on an error. After watching all available tutorials and tinkering with is for a whole day, its still not working. I reproduced this problem on a simple scene with a pig head as you can see in the image. I use the quickmaterial node to assign a new texture I want to bake to the low poly. If I remove the quickmaterial node it does bake the original texture of the pig just fine. So why is it baking diffuse into solid pink and how to I tell the baker what diffuse texture to use since quickmaterial doesn't do it? Thank you very much, its giving me a headache.

Attachments:
2022-01-31 16_32_12-Window.jpg (563.8 KB)

5 posts
I got the same results in H19.0.516 DB.
and the production build H19.0.498

Mapsbaker is baking but new rendered image does not display correctly in quick material after Mapsbaker .

Works Fine in H18.5.759

With new quick material before Maps
Edited by SelflessOne - Feb. 1, 2022 04:44:53
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor / Memory: 65536MB RAM / Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 / Monitor Name: ViewSonic VP3481
10 posts
Yes the preview is a problem, but I have a bigger problem with the baker, it generates an invalid map if I don't use the default pig texture. That's probably why the maps wont show. With that default texture, open the baked texture in another app and save it and preview will work. But try changing it to another texture, and it wont bake anything. The texture will be pink. Green stripes on the High poly, pink image is what it baked out. Also new pink image wont preview with a quick material. There is something wrong with diffuse baking. I should probably submit a bug. We posted the same thing at the same time. Yeah it works in 18.5. Thank you. Does it bake a map into file in version 19 properly?
Edited by animquer - Feb. 1, 2022 05:01:33

Attachments:
2022-02-01 10_46_29-Window.jpg (334.3 KB)

5 posts
Yes in both set ups with and without a quick material before maps baker . They do get rendered in H19 as a 1024.png .

And the bug

Edited by SelflessOne - Feb. 1, 2022 14:34:29
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor / Memory: 65536MB RAM / Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 / Monitor Name: ViewSonic VP3481
10 posts
Thank you for confirming this SelflessOne. I will try reporting it as a bug. Will post if I get a response from the devs.
10 posts
There is a workaround. Simply click on the button labeled: "Switch to Original Materials" in the Quick Material node. That will convert the node to the old way of doing things and will bake diffuse just fine after that.

Attachments:
2022-02-05 15_19_40-Window.jpg (95.2 KB)

197 posts
As of last Friday, MapsBaker has support for material_overrides, fixing the bug you mention above!
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
10 posts
Ambrosiussen
As of last Friday, MapsBaker has support for material_overrides, fixing the bug you mention above!
Amazing, thank you!
  • Quick Links