Interactive Nodes and Viewport control

1119   2   1
3 posts
Hello,

I'm trying to use attribpaint in one of my HDAs for inside Houdini.
I want to paint an attribute, which later gets used inside the HDA to influence the result that comes from another node.

An example scenario would be, using attribpaint, painting Height as an attribute and then after that having a Mountain SOP, which gets influenced by the paint.

Would it be possible, when using the node, to press Enter in the viewport and to render the attribpaint node, instead of the output, so I can see what I'm painting and then, after exiting the paint mode with the Esc key, to render the output node at the end of the HDA again, with my updated result?

I see many use cases where this might improve workflows in various HDAs.

Is it possible, in the "Node" section of the Operator Type Properties to set a default render node, when entering a Default state or something?

Any help would be really appreciated.
8595 posts
normally you can keep your Display flag on the Mountain node and then just select attribpaint above and press Enter in the viewport

- this will allow you to paint on the original geo and see the deformed geo
- to enhance the experience you can check Paint On Displayed Node which will allow you to paint on the deformed verion of the node, I assume they have to have the same topology

(for all this to work you need to work you geometry display mode has to beset to Show Current Geometry, which is default)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
3 posts
Hey Tomas,

I know what you're referring to, but I mean, that's not what I'm trying to get.
I want this setup done inside an HDA, where the user won't just select attribpaint, but rather, enters paint mode in the viewport and then the geo switches to the paint geo, after which, when the user is done painting, goes back to the deformed geo.

The option I don't think is something that really works in my case.
  • Quick Links