Vellum Cloth Initial State with Forces in Solver / Drape

1180   2   0
30 posts
Hi Everyone!

Let's say I'm doing a simple Cloth Simulation with a collider: Cloth falls on Rubber Toy and inside the solver there's a POP Axis Force.
Now let's say I'm completely happy with what Frame 125 looks like and want to set it as an "Initial State". Then I want to run it through ANOTHER solver with different forces but using that Initial State as the first frame.

So I've been experimenting and here are the conclusions.

Option A. Please see screenshot.
The straightforward way, I assumed at first, would be to freeze a frame with timeshift and run it through that second solver, however when it initializes, I suppose it initializes the constraints too disregarding their actual STATE since we have a second Configure Cloth. This results in extra stretching and other "settling" of the cloth.

Option B. Please see screenshot.
The proper way I THINK would be to use the Vellum Drape.
The Vellum Drape simulation and forces setting should be the same as the first Vellum Solver in Option A (for instance Drape by default sets the Simulation Time Scale to 0.2)
Then we open up the node (allow editing of contents), find the Vellum Solver inside it and plug the Axis Force at the end of the flow (see top screen).
Then we run the simulation through Drape and freeze frame 125, in my case.
After that we are free to do what we want, plug in extra constraints, etc and end it with the Vellum Solver (see vellumsolver4 Option B).

Now the question: am I weird or would this be the most correct and "elegant" way to approach this kind of situation?

Thank you!
Edited by Robot_and_Robot - July 13, 2022 16:39:25

Attachments:
Vellum_Initial_State.png (2.5 MB)

8538 posts
Robot_and_Robot
since we have a second Configure Cloth.
Why do you have second Configure Cloth?

just freeze any frame form sim or drape or cache it (either both geo/constraint separately or as a single Vellum Packed stream)
and then plug the cached geo/constraints to new sim, should be as straightforward as that, no need for another constraints as you already have correct constraints with correct restlength representing the original rest not the settled one

there may be a case where you may need to delete some attribites from the cached geo like v, potentially id, ... to avoid some issues, but generally should work fine
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
30 posts
tamte
Robot_and_Robot
since we have a second Configure Cloth.
Why do you have second Configure Cloth?

just freeze any frame form sim or drape or cache it (either both geo/constraint separately or as a single Vellum Packed stream)
and then plug the cached geo/constraints to new sim, should be as straightforward as that, no need for another constraints as you already have correct constraints with correct restlength representing the original rest not the settled one

there may be a case where you may need to delete some attribites from the cached geo like v, potentially id, ... to avoid some issues, but generally should work fine

Hi Thomas and thank you for your suggestion. I tested it and it did work.
I was about to show you the attached screenshot where things got weird. But now I see the error of my ways.
Thank you again and have a great one!

Attachments:
Vellum_FreezeFrame_Weird.png (1.5 MB)
Vellum_FreezeFrame_Works.png (2.6 MB)

• Quick Links