Browser error in 8.1.704

9742   9   1
194 posts
I got the following error message when trying to lookup the help on shopnet (see snapshot). That happens in both 8.1.704 and 8.1.666.

Attachments:
houdini_browser_error.jpg (68.8 KB)

7725 posts
Is it just there or that you can't search at all? Do you have java [java.com] installed?
194 posts
Yes, I have Java installed. It complains only for certain nodes like null, shopnet and ropnet. In most other cases it works well. Seems like it's looking for nonexisting HTML files - …/helpcards/shop/shopnet.html and …/helpcards/out/ropnet.html

In the case of null, I noticed that it's looking for …/helpcards/obj/null.html, but the actual help file is called …/helpcards/obj/obj.null.html, so I made a copy of that file and renamed it null.html

For shopnet and ropnet - i don't see anything in the /shop and /out folders that resembles their help files.
77 posts
I get :

content/helpcards/shop/shopnet.html cannot be found

(I checked … the shopnet.html file really is NOT there).

And then in the console :

error: Could not communicate to run Javascript

(WinXP 8.1.746)

Mike
557 posts
There are a few helpcards like this that are mis-specified. If you poke around in the distribution, you can usually find the correct location, and then point the help browser to that.
194 posts
Are annoyances like that going to be fixed in version 9?
I was just looking at the help for the Source POP - //houdini/content/helpcards/pop/source.html - and noticed that there are 2 entries for Impulse Activation, the second of which describes Constant Activation.
557 posts
Badly specified helpcards don't have to wait until H9 - just submit them as bugs when you find them, and they should get fixed in updated 8.1 builds.
194 posts
Thanks.
18 posts
My Houdini Browser suddenly crashed… I don't know what happens..
I've checked my hard drive with scandisk, reinstalled Java and Houdini…
I need Help!

Attachments:
hbrowser_error.gif (5.2 KB)

18 posts
It was my mistake - i accidentally blocked HBrowser in my Firewall
  • Quick Links