VERY high CPU temps

1124   6   0
4 posts
So I noticed something really weird : I have like 100c temps on houdini when doing simulation, and as soon as I look at something else like discord or google chrome, the temps come back to normal like 30-40 even if I'm doing simulations.. No idea what can cause this but it's pretty annoying.. Anyone has any idea?

spec: i9 13900k, 64gb ram ddr5 6000mhz, and a 4070ti
2556 posts
Give Prime95 [en.wikipedia.org] a test. You may have to reapply your thermal paste.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
313 posts
Most likely the thermic paste as mentioned at that temperature.

Also make sure the heatsink is attached flat and even.
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
4 posts
So I added themic paste and made sure the heatsink was attached flat which.. Turns out it's quite hard to have it not flat.. And I still have crazy temps only while watching a sim in Houdini.. Any other software is fine and any games, any rendering engine.. I dont get it..

Scratch that, I rendered a random cube and made it insane to render in arnold settings, and again only while watching the render, I have crazy temps and the cpu goes to 100%.. When I stop watching but the render is still doing it's thing, the temp goes back to normal like 30-40c. I'm lost
Edited by Hugo Samson - July 22, 2023 18:15:15
16 posts
It's normal for the 13900K to get very hot when pushed to 100% by rendering or simulating.
Otherwise it's very efficient. Games and daily OS tasks can not really push it that much.

Motherboard manufacturers push it even further. There should be a BIOS setting to fix this (a little).
In ASUS motherboards it's called 'ASUS Multicore Enhancement' - 'Enforce all limits'.
It's still gonna get toasty though.

Don't know about watching the render vs not.
Maybe there is setting in the OS which throttles the background apps? Like a power saving mode?
313 posts
100 degree celsius is max for this proc.

Your text to link here... [www.intel.com]

I’ve struggled with other CPU:s but not that one.

Also I don’t know what to respond regarding ”crazy temps”.

Probably read the manufacturers recommendations regarding settings and cooling requirements.
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
617 posts
air circulation is important.
  • Quick Links