Flipbook (Mplay doesn´t start or render)

1204   3   1
10 posts
Hi!

My name is Kris and I´m looking for a 3d tool to use for my portfolio. I heard about Houdini, and wanted to see for myself what it was. I was pleasantly surprised. Everything was kind of going my way until I tried to use the flipbook to see if I could save a sequence and get a real time look at a simulation. The only thing that happened was that the settings opened up for flipbook (once) and after that nothing happened when I pressed the flipbook button. No setting, no mplay, nothing. I contacted support and we went through a few things, but even they didn´t know how to help me. I was stuck. I use windows 10, and the Houdini Apprentice 19.5.569. The customer support operator thought that there was nothing wrong with the software but that my computer didn´t allow for the function to start for some reason. I´m here, because I think that maybe one of you could help me with this problem.

We did all kind of things. We changed the.env file, we reinstalled the software, etc. Nothing helped. I´m on the verge of buying the INdie version because I like it so much but this feature problem really bugs me.

How do I get it to work?

Cheers,

Kris
8555 posts
I've experienced it sometimes, but usually restart solved the issue

alternatively you can try using OpenGL ROP, by default it writes to ip, which would open MPlay so it can be similar to Flipbook experience apart from the fact that it doesn't use viewport settings but its own which are more limited

the advantage on the other hand is that you will get consistent flipbooks, and also captured at correct resolution (which flipbook can't do as that one captures at viewport res and then stretches to specified res)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
10 posts
Thank you Tomas! That really helped. I guess there is a workaround to everything and there is always a solution to a problem.
408 posts
Trying to render with the opengl rop because for some unknown reasons my flipbook just stopped working (???). But i can't get the Opengl rop to render exactly what i see in my viewport? Tring to render with headlight only, but it just keeps using an other viewport lighting mode. Any pointers welcome.

Cheers,

A.

EDIT: Turning off the lights helped. Cheers.
Edited by Adriano - Nov. 3, 2023 06:56:30
  • Quick Links