Can you disable cooking on selection?

3705   3   0
4516 posts
I don't want Houdini to cook when I select a node, unless some parameters have references to nodes which should be cooked, but not itself.

Is there a setting for this?

I only want it to cook what's visible in the viewport or other panes, so the nodes with the display flag, not selected nodes.

This creates a lot of issues such as initiating long cooks when you select a bunch of nodes to move, copy/paste, and preventing deleting nodes until it finishes cooking. So you won't be able to delete nodes quickly.

I don't want to change the cooking mode back and forth anytime I want to do these kind of operations.

Anyone else shares a similar request?
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
Staff
5158 posts
Yes you can disable this. It's the viewport that cooks the selected node's geometry, and you disable this via the “Geometry selector” button's RMB menu - change Show Current Operator to Show Display Operator. The button itself is the 2nd icon from the top on the viewport's left toolbar.
4516 posts
twod
Yes you can disable this. It's the viewport that cooks the selected node's geometry, and you disable this via the “Geometry selector” button's RMB menu - change Show Current Operator to Show Display Operator. The button itself is the 2nd icon from the top on the viewport's left toolbar.

Thanks Mark, this will be a huge productivity boost for me

Also is it the same for Details View? I assume it will show something based on your selection, whether multiple or single. That's not a huge issue though.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
12 posts
Should this still be working in newer versions of Houdini? Somehow, it's not working for me.
  • Quick Links