WIREFRAME RENDDERING -SIMPLE QUESTION :)

8824   5   2
2 posts
Hi would really appreciate if anyone could tell me how do i render wireframe objects in houdini and the process involved, have not been using Houdini since version 4.0 , but now want to get back thanks in advance.
VFX MAJOR
4140 posts
You could use the OpenGL ROP, but anti-aliasing could be better. Also, I don't think it can do wireframe/hiddenline together, although I may be wrong.
If you do want hidden line wireframe and the best possible quality and control over lines, then you could do what I do - a Wireframe SOP and scale a copy of the object just a hair smaller, and make it a Matte object in Render/Matte. It's hacky, but it works…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
405 posts
Instead of using Mantra you could just use Wren. It will give you a black background but you can convert that to alpha with something like the Gimp and then composite it in with your other stuff. Here is an example of this process

http://www.visualparadigms.com/houdini/gallery/nate_nestler/FrontCover3.jpg [visualparadigms.com]

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
4140 posts
Can you get decent anit-aliasing with Wren? I've never been able to - always crappy during animation…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
405 posts
I don't know I have a GeForce 3 because I can not shell out for a FX 1000 until SIGGRAPH rolls around again. 3D Card prices are so cheap there during that time its worth the wait. Maybe you could with a High End 3D Card. There are several things that just work better in Houdini when you have a high end card.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

P.S. I hate having to use a game card in the meantime though such is life.
4140 posts
Alas, not that. I'm running a Quadro 4 900XGL - reasonably high end. AA in wireframe isn't solved as easily as that. I'm being a stickler here, mind you. You can get it *fairly* good - but not production deliver-it-to-the-client good.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links