License?

5512   5   0
4 posts
Hey everyone,

Just got apprentice HD, hope to migrate to Houdini after being a C4D user for the last 7 years or so. My only problem is I can't figure out how to activate the apprentice HD license — I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to figure it out.

Is there any documentation on it?
(I'm running OS X if that matters…)

Thanks!

nt
Staff
1450 posts
hello,

just use the “License Administrator” in Applications > Houdini 9.5.xxx > Administrative Tools, and choose File > Install Licenses… from the main menu. Use your email address as the user ID and the password that you obtained in the email that was sent to you after you purchased the HD license.

There is a set of FAQs about licensing and HD in general. You can find it here [sidefx.com]
4 posts
Thanks rafal
4 posts
The license login window is whited out — I can't type in it. And the expiration date of the license is July 15th(?). I know I'm running 9.5 — but can you upgrade that to apprentice hd?
Staff
1450 posts
Probably Houdini installed the current license that you are using, which is a plain Apprentice (non-HD). This kind of license imposes some restrictions (resolution, watermark, export types) and has to be renewed every month.

Once you install (redeem) your HD license, Houdini will use that license. It does not expire and removes some restrictions.

There is a bug in the installer that does not set the file permissions correctly. This prevents the License Administrator from saving the HD license to this file and therefore the login window is grayed out.

To fix it, just set the write permissions on the licenses.local file in /Library/Preferences/sesi/ directory.

For some more info please see the Local Licensing FAQs:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1283&Itemid=273 [sidefx.com]
4 posts
Thanks!

Just had to change the access options, and bam it worked!
NO WHAMMY!
  • Quick Links