How do you merge two geometries in two separate files?

8960   2   0
5 posts
Hi again guys, a quick question, how do you merge two geometries in two separate files?

For example I built a head mesh in one file and a body mesh in another file, and I merge both files together, I would end up with 2 Objects in OBJ. How do I merge both objects under one so they both show up in Geometry view and I can apply OPs on them?
7714 posts
Couple of methods. Choose one of the following:

1) Create a new Geometry object to house your merged one. In the SOP viewer of the new object, make sure that the “See All” button is pressed. It's the second rightmost button in the view controls toolbar directly beneath the viewer. Then right-click on the “See All” button and turn on “Select from All objects”. Now hit the Tab key, choose Merge from the pop up menu. Hit the ‘a’ key with your mouse in the viewer as a fast way to select all geoemtry in the viewer. Right-click in the viewer to finish the selection. To see your merged object, turn off the “See All” button and the “Select from All objects” option.

2) In the SOP viewer inside one object, right-click (and wait) on the geometry. This should bring up a menu. Choose “Save Geometry”. Do that for the other object as well. After that, create a new object to house both geometry files. In the SOP viewer of your new object, put down two File SOPs, each referencing one of the files (use the tab menu to create a File sop and enter the filename at the top operation controls toolbar directly on top of the viewer). Now add a Merge sop from the tab menu. Again, the ‘a’ key provides a fast way to select everything. Right-click to finish the selection.

The first method works if you already have two hip files merged together. The second method skips the hip file merging step and can work with geometry files not only from Houdini but from other packages as well. In both cases, if you're gonna be altering topology of the merged object, you probably want to lock the merge sop first. Right-click on your geometry and choose “Lock”. This will ensure that the merged geometry won't change if you alter the source objects (regardless of how they got there). Finally, you might want to append a Fuse sop so that points adjacent to each other get merged into a single one.

Hope this helps.
5 posts
Thanks edward, works perfectly!!!
  • Quick Links