Create an (axis independent) 2d arrow in a single add SOP?

5511   6   0
121 posts
Hey all,

been a long time since my last visit here. I need to create a 2d arrow in a single add SOP. pt0 and pt1 are the (changing) start/end points of the line, and now I wanna draw an “arrow head” at the start/end points.

I actually wanna do this in Houdini's little brother (touch), so I have no access to python expressions.

Any ideas how to do this
Thanks
Achm
Edited by - May 4, 2009 10:41:35
1145 posts
I would suspect that a a careful arrangement of points would do at the trick.
Add a bunch of points with the Add sop, translate them into appropriate positions and then connect them.

Attachments:
arrow_from_points.hip (35.8 KB)

“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
121 posts
thanks peter. Seems like I haven't made myself to clear. Sorry for that.

What I'm looking for is a way to draw that arrow independent of a fixed axis, i.e. I have two points (start and end) which are not aligned to any of the xyz axes, but are at some (usually animated) xy position. For example
pt0 .5 4 0
pt1 -10 1 0

What I can't figure out is how to position the points of the arrow head so that they take the current orientation of the line/arrow into account.

Hope that made it more clear

thanks again
345 posts
Hey,
Sounds like normals can solve your problem. Have a look at this quick digital asset example - dive inside to see more details. Is that what you are after?

Cheers,
kuba

Attachments:
arrow.hip (94.7 KB)

121 posts
that's basically what I'm after, but I need to create this in a single add SOP. I'm pretty sure Houdini can do this. Hopefully I'm not wrong. But thanks for this file kuba!
311 posts
you use point0 and point1 to dynamically control the placement of points 2-6 and points 7-11 ( your arrow heads ) respectively with expressions.

You need to figure out the trigonometry to get the angling of the arrow heads, but it should be acheivable.
121 posts
thanks again. It's a little bit easier, as I just need a line forming the arrow, so only 4 points in total. Good to know its possible, but unfortunately I've no knowledge of trigonometry. Any hints?
  • Quick Links