A realistic Earth try

18462   7   1
52 posts
Hello people!

I'm Very new on 3d area, so much newbie…. learning erverything…. in my first try i want to do a realistic earth shot.

I got some progress on it in couple of days…earlier i cant do a simple texturing…now i can. But its something to do yet….now thats a shot of what i had done so far…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbCuIQoJdUE [youtube.com]

But i cant do a good athmosphere…i realy dont know how…tips?

and what i want its a “separate layer” of clouds, for clouds make some shadow on earth estructure….know what i mean?….and make clouds have a great volume.

other thing…i got some artfacts on clouds south of earth…any tips?

i Think this is a really basic doubts ….someone can help me? remember, im really newbie on 3d

Sorry for bad english….
Thank you all.
101 posts
another brazilian!

Be welcome to this long-crazy-hard journey of learning Houdini! :roll:

Add me at msn if you have ronaldomiranda@live.com

Good Luck pal!

8)
1145 posts
Here's one approach you can try. You could use multiple spheres for various height clouds, and animate them separately.

Attachments:
clear_skys_over_brazil.hip (437.3 KB)
earth.zip (807.1 KB)

“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
52 posts
Thanks for the help probbins

Now i have to study your hip file…to understand….i'm really newbie but i get the idea….now i want to get the logical of the node tree.

Later, can i shade the spheres clouds with my cloud texture ? using group maybe…i dont know very well…yet. :roll:

Another question….why i cant use jpg files for textures….even in your hip file….if i reload your earth texture i get a magenta texture….i dont undestant why……i have to convert .jpg file to .pic files to work….. im using houdini 9.5 on linux, any idea? :?

And the atmosphere….i have to use another sphere to? or can i use the same shader?

If anyone have more ideas just post….all the help is welcome.
thank you all.

Você meu amigo brasileiro, te adcionarei mais tarde no msn…pra podermos trocar umas ideias sobre houdini e 3d
abs
1145 posts
I used spheres for the clouds in order to build real volumes, that's what the isooffset is doing. You need to use a volumetric material for that.
If you want to use a texture for your clouds then I would likely just use grids or circles for the clouds. Depends on how close you are going to get to your earth.

You can use jpeg's, it sounds like a path problem. Make sure the path to the image is correct. The easiest thing to do is put the texture in a subdirectory under where you have the hip file saved and use $HIP; for example,
$HIP/images/earth_image.jpg
Ideally, you want to use .rat files for textures.

Yes, you can use another sphere to define the atmosphere.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
52 posts
Thanks for the anwsers….i made some progress on fluffy clouds… its will be useful for a big zoom in and i use the popnetwork to extract the points to do stars!!
But i want now, to try another things….But i'm stuck on the problem of load texturing…i want to load some images with alpha channel….but i cant…i can only load a .pic lower than 2100x1050…all the other i got a magenta texture. this is driving me crazy….i load from the $HIP folder…but i have the same thing
I'm using houdini 9.5

I wanna to try alpha because i saw a alpha controller on Vex super material…and i want to try compose that.

And the atmosphere…im trying to use another sphere with a constant blue material….but what i want is that material “react” only with the black of the “universe” not on the earth… know what i mean? Houdinis Masters, i think you can show me the way!!! i'm not experienced on 3d but i have some on compositing….like Autodesk smoke and flame…so i know the terms and have some generic knowledge

Thanks you all! and sorry for bad english. i'm trying to improve!
Cya.
349 posts
Actually I thought I would have a play around and see if I could make a cloud texture layer work inside of vops, then post it here. To be honest I havnt really played around with vop shader building barring a few basic sprite shaders. And I get the salmon colour as well, but only inside a vopnet.

The paths are correct. Ive tried putting the files into the $HIP directory, now ive tried in the houdini/pictures as well.

Ive tried .rat, .jpg and .picnc and its all the same. However things work out in shops. Im leaning towards it being me, but things look fine.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/ragupasta/clouds_issue.jpg [i24.photobucket.com]
52 posts
Hello ragupasta!!

Is the same Color i got….but even in a vopnet or shopnet i got the salmon color.
I only got a image texture if a use a .pic file maxsize 2100x1050….even a .rat i get this salmon color.

i'm using houdini under linux… Any tips for this?
This is driving me crazy.

thank you all
  • Quick Links